Up Close with your LC-A+

I love my LC-A+ but one of its flaws is you can’t get really close to your subject. Luckily there is an easy fix that involves an LC-A splitzer, the right close up filters, and two minutes of your time.

The lens on the LC-A is fixed and the closest you can move in on your subject is 0.8m. While most of the time this should be sufficient, there are plenty of occasions I would like to get closer. Trying to find a solution rapidly sent me on my way to buy close up filters. I ordered a set of Neewer 37mm filters on eBay without thinking about how I was going to attach these to my LC-A+.

Waiting for my package to find its way from Hong Kong to Europe I came across my LC-A splitzer. A quick measurement showed the inner diameter of the splitzer was very close to 37mm. There was definitely some potential here!

The initial plan was to permanently fix the +1 filter on the splitzer, leaving the front thread exposed to attach any further filters. Turns out there is no need for glue at all! If you have the right set of filters and dismantle the splitzer carefully, things fit perfectly! Here’s how.

If you take a close look at your splitzer you’ll see there is a thin metal rim holding the plastic discs in place. The rim can be taking out fairly easy by turning it, and moving the place where it is cut from underneath the plastic tabs. Take out the rim without damaging it and lift out the plastic discs and two incredible tiny ball bearings. Put the metal rim back in place, sliding the opening underneath the plastic tabs. And you’re done!

You can attach the 37mm filter to the splitzer by applying little pressure and a bit of twisting and turning. The filter doesn’t really screw on to the metal rim, but it does keep it firmly in place. Just turn it around to find that sweet spot, were you really feel the filter is kept securely. Adding extra filters is a breeze as you can use the threads for that.

The filter set I bought came with a carrying case. It holds the filters and is roomy enough to leave the splitzer attached. It looks as if it was made to accompany my LC-A+!

written by sandravo

1. psit

psit

very clever idea!!

2. boredslacker

boredslacker

Have u taken any photos with the lens? Would love to see how they turn out

3. sandravo

sandravo

@boredslacker - I did some testing earlier this week, haven't developed it yet. As soon as I have some pictures to show you I'll get back to you!

4. lostlittlekid

lostlittlekid

Ingenious!

5. noe_arteaga

noe_arteaga

I really want to see your results!

6. mgv_naz

mgv_naz

Good to know!
  7. aguillem

aguillem

Yes I'd like to see the resulta also!
    And it would be wonderfull if you tell us the filter(s), the distance and the focus setting of each photo.
    Because the difficult point will be to get the right focus...

8. sandravo

sandravo

@aguillem @noe_arteaga - It will all come down to finding the correct distance for each filter. I did some testing and am waiting for the results. Of course I will keep you posted and pass on all the information about filters/distance.

9. qrro

qrro

if this works im gonna order my filter ASAP !!!! nice tipster anyway!! :D

10. tilmans90

tilmans90

want to see some pics
  11. mrmaart

mrmaart

please write a follow up tipster with the results of your test pictures @sandravo !

12. sandravo

sandravo

@boredslacker @lostlittlekid @noe_arteaga @qrro @aguillem @tilmans90 @mrmaart

Sadly the lab messed up my entire test roll, so for now I only have two close up photos to show you. I will do another test run, but just so you can see it works check these out:

Close up of my Lubitel, taken with +10 and +4 stacked together at a 7cm distance.

Close up of "license plate", taken with the +4 filter at a 25cm distance.

The rule I used to calculate the distance seems to be working. It is fairly easy.
    * Set your LC-A focus on infinity
    * Correct distance is 1 meter / filter diopter

So with a +4 filter the distance is 100cm/4=25cm and with a +10 filter the distance is 100cm/10=10cm
    etc. If you combine filters just add the diopter values, so for the lubitel I combined the +4 and the +10 and kept a distance of 100cm/14=7cm.

Hope this helps. It would be nice to see someone else confirm these findings! I will let you know if I have more results.

13. sandravo

sandravo

Forgot to mention this, but I guess it is obvious: the closer you go the smaller your DOF gets! Clearly shows in the lubitel close up, where the writing on the lens ring is focussed but everything behind it is out of focus.

14. muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

Pseudo macro? Useful tipster indeed, cheers!

15. fisher-price

fisher-price

Thanks @sandravo, this is really helpful. I was constantly photographing my thumb when holding filters in front of my lens .

16. muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

Thanks to @sandravo, I've made my 1st macro album! I love it!

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish, Deutsch, 中文(繁體版), 中文(繁體版), Italiano & Nederlands.