How To Repair Smena 8M Shutter Blade

Have you ever experienced when you unloading your Smena 8M and just for fun, test firing your Smena 8M and suddenly you notice that 1 of your shutter blades is not working? You will wonder, "Argh!! What happen to my rolls?? Is it nicely exposed or a disaster?".

Well, it happens to me and I admit, I got a little bit heart broken :p

Anyway, I ask Dr.Google and I can’t find any how-to repair Smena 8M shutter blades. So, since I got no answers, “Screw this, lets try repairing this camera myself.”

So, for my first tipster, here goes:

The problem:

Things you need:
- small screwdriver ( type: slot – )

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Congratulations! You just repaired your own Smena 8M!

written by oxgn

1. naqi

naqi

great tipster. congrats!

2. oxgn

oxgn

Thanks naqi :D

3. oxgn

oxgn

Thanks naqi :D

4. lazybuddha

lazybuddha

Thanks for this tipster. It may help me build up the courage to attempt to fix my BeLomo Vilia, which has it's shutter stuck open.

5. mcrstar

mcrstar

really good tipster, I hope it helps someone.

6. oxgn

oxgn

Your welcome lazybuddha. Anyway, I don't know much bout BeLomo Vilia since I don't have one but just my advice, if you don't have tweezers to put back the small screw, don't do it, you will ran amok because of it.. LOL. And yes, you need a lot of patience since you do not know what you deal with. ^_^ Anyway, post some article bout it later. Thanks again :D

7. oxgn

oxgn

Thanks mcrstar. Yup, hope it can help all Smena 8M users who have the same problem :D

8. woosang

woosang

Great work! This is a very handy tipster.

9. keek66

keek66

you have forgotten something very important! There is a very small spring right next to the cocking lever. It holds the crank, wich controls the shutter speed, under pressure. Before you assemble the objective with the two parts between objective and camera box, you have to strain the spring. The spring´s pressure is just hold by the round metal-cover thing.
    Otherwise you cannot choose the shutter speed anymore.

10. oxgn

oxgn

@keek66, thanks for adding some information ^_^ Well, my Smena only can shoot at B mode when I do this tutorial. :( I can't find any other tips how to repair that and its annoying to open the lens again :( So, I just shoot using B all the way LOL.

11. neurodiaz

neurodiaz

Hey, I'd love to know if you guys know how to repair the shutter speeds on a Smena 8M... I already fixed the shutter blades and the shutter cock, thanks in advance!

12. berserk0r

berserk0r

hey. i tried it and it worked besides of the shutter speed so i tried it again...now the lens opens every time i pull the shutter cock...need help

13. hslliang

I've got the same problem as well; the blades open and close during a full cock trip.
  14. oxgn

oxgn

hsliang, if you have the same problem and don't want to mess up your Smena 8M, I advice you to go service at a proper place, but if you still want to try this tipster, than its your choice :D

15. marcel2cv

marcel2cv

@oxgn: Great job! Do something similar for the Smena Symbol, if you can! :-)

16. oxgn

oxgn

@marcel2cv: Thank you but I don't possessed a broken Symbol nor a healthy Symbol :( If I have 1, surely I can make a tutorial for it :D

17. mypoorbrain

mypoorbrain

Thanks for this awesome tipster. I've just repaired my Smena 8M shutter blades. Oh and about this tiny spring... I just put it under lens body. All my shutter speeds works great.

about 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Türkçe & Československy.