Failed EBS experiment #3

I sat with my coffee this morning looking at @hodachrome's latest incredible 'exposing both sides' (EBS) album and said to myself, Man, I gotta try that too! So I attacked the project with great energy, preparing a homemade redscale film and cutting out a strip of black card to tape inside the bottom half of the back of the camera (I don't have a Splitzer, and figured this would work just as well). No problem so far, so I set off around my town shooting stuff that was supposed to be the redscale half of the shots, shooting each scene twice (with -2 and -3 stops compensation to see which worked best), taking care to also snap each scene on my phone so I'd know in what sequence and from which angle to take the second round of exposures. I got to the end of the roll and felt pretty confident that all was going well, until, walking home to switch the film around back to the other side for the 'normal' exposures, I realised that I should have put the card strip across the top half of the frame, not the bottom, since what you see through the lens gets turned upside down on the negative. Damn, I thought, and damn again! Having gone to so much effort already, though, I figured I could still rescue it by turning the film back to the normal side, as planned, but then shooting the second round of shots with the camera upside down. And so that's exactly what I did, but something definitely went wrong somewhere, because when I got the negs back from the 1-hour lab, I saw straightaway that only half of the frame had been exposed in each shot. I've now spent all evening trying to figure out what the hell went wrong, but still haven't got the answer... and my brain hurts as a result! Anyways, I spent so much energy on this today that I decided I'd upload three of the shots. Although the top and bottom halves of what you see were separate shots, I confess I used PHOTOSHOP to combine them together. I will not submit these to any competitions, and upload them here only so that one of you gurus out there might help me figure out how I f*'d up, and also to serve as a reminder to myself that, one day, I simply MUST master this technique...! Thanks for your patience if you made it this far, and like I said, I'd appreciate any help you have to offer. Thank you!

3 Comments

  1. stratski
    stratski ·

    Ouch, this sounds like exactly the kind of confusion I might experience doing something like this. By the way, I am nowhere near an EBS expert, but I do know that making your own splitzer is pretty easy. It's nothing but a cardboard ring with half a circle covered that you can slip over your lens. Very easy to make to size of every lens and camera you have. Something to consider next time, maybe?

  2. buckshot
    buckshot ·

    Cheers, @stratski! Yes, I made a splitzer for my Diana lenses - just didn't have time to make one for my Pentax lens yet, but will do so for next time. Thanks for commenting tho!

  3. gauthierdumonde
    gauthierdumonde ·

    As you explain it, you shot the redscale side with an internal splitzer on the low half. So your reds should show the lower half of the scenes. Then you reversed the film to the normal side, left the splitzer where it was and you shot upside down. So the normal side should show the upper half of the scenes. In the end only the upper half was exposed and not the redside. The way you explain it, it should have worked. I see only two possibilities: redside was never exposed (not likely but possible camera failure by the internal mask). Possibility two: while reversing the film you did it wrong. So your exposed redside half became the normal half. The normal side has more impact and you don't see the redside (because you did not overexpose the redside). You shot twice on the same half, leaving one half unexposed. The normal side dominates, so you don't see the reds.

More photos by buckshot