C-41 cross processing and E-6 processing showed me the vastly different characteristics of this film. Although I don’t know this film very well, I find that I can “see” more if I listened to my heart.
A friend gave me 2 rolls of Lomography X-Pro Slide 200, just nice for me to cross process one roll and E-6 process the other. This will enable me to understand it’s different characteristics! I don’t proclaim to be very knowledgeable about films, and I can’t draw much conclusion from these 2 rolls. However, I hope to share as much as I can with everyone.
I used Horizon Perfekt under various ambient lighting conditions such as indoors, outdoors, day, and night. Here are my findings:
- Red has a strong presence in all conditions. It is always virbant and saturated.
- Under daylight and flourescent lighting (white light source), there is a strong greenish color cast/tint, this becomes more pronounced when photo is underexposed.
- Under tungsten lighting, there is a greenish to orangey color shift.
- Blue color is quite washed out by the strong green and yellow colorcast. Hence, you can’t really get very saturated blue skies and white clouds.
- Just like Agfa CT100 & Kodak EB3 – “There are strong contrasts between light and darkness”.
I used Nikon FM2 for this roll of Lomography X-Pro Slide 200. The feeling when shooting this roll is different as I had decided to E-6 process this roll from the beginning. I would also over-expose slightly when metering a shot.
- Under sunny outdoor conditions at Sai Kung, the photos’ have a natural and vintage look.
- Overall, the colors are soft and pleasing with low contrasts.
- Regardless of male or female, it has good skin tone reproduction.
However, from shooting to developing to scanning, many factors can affect the final image. Some examples are ambient color temperature, lens coating, lens and shutter designs, developing methods, freshness of the chemicals, temperature control, scanner’s settings, color calibration of the LCD, and RGB settings. All are variables that affect what we finally see.
Therefore, have faith in yourself and listen to your heart. If you put in your heart and soul, regardless of the variables, you will love each and every shot.
written by ericeast on 2011-02-12 #gear #200 #indoor #horizon #cross-processing #fm2 #outdoor #e2e #hong-kong #lomography #sai-kung #review #greenish #hk #portrait #e2c #aisa #user-review #sheung-wan #friendship
translated by coolsigg