When the sun dips below the horizon, it’s almost habitual for a photographer to bust out the flash to illuminate low-light and nighttime scenes. On your next night out with La Sardina, set it on Bulb mode and get experimental with some light painting tools!
Ready, Steady, Go!
You've probably seen those awesome street photos with light streaks or glowing shots without the use of flash. It's easy to do with La Sardina. All you need is to set your camera on Bulb (B) mode, set it on a tripod or a steady surface, and hold the shutter open for as long as you want.
Electrify Your Shots
Are you afraid of the dark? We hope not! Light Painting is a technique that works best in low-light conditions, but it’s really exciting to do, especially with friends. Try scribbling shapes, like stars, swirls, or messages! Here’s our easy step-by-step guide:
- Wait until dusk or get into a dark room.
- Prop your La Sardina on a tripod and set it on Bulb mode. The shutter will remain open and allow light to come in.
- Hold the shutter button. At this time, you or a friend can scribble or do some painterly strokes using sparklers or light painters.
- Release the shutter.
# Advance to the next frame and do it all over again (if you wish)!
Instead of using standard flash to illuminate your photos, experiment by using external flash units. Or better yet, use the Fritz the Blitz flash with different color gel filters. If your La Sardina kit doesn’t include the Fritz the Blitz flash, attach an external flash such as the Diana F+ Flash. For this technique, you have to enable the Bulb (B) setting as well as the Multiple Exposure (MX) function. The rest of the steps is super simple, here’s the step-by-step:
- Get into a dark room.
- Enable the MX and B settings of your La Sardina camera.
- Set up your La Sardina on a tripod.
- Hold the shutter button for as long as you want. Meanwhile, get your subject to pop a burst of flash. For every exposure, ask your subject to strike a different pose for every burst of flash.
- Try using different color gel filters with your flash for even more vibrant results!