In light of recent successes and subsequent addiction with multiple exposures, I decided to take a look at the 10 commandments of Lomovangelism and dedicate an entire roll to the ‘MX’ button of my Fisheye No. 2.
In light of recent successes and subsequent addiction with multiple exposures I decided to take a look at the 10 commandments of Lomovangelism and dedicate an entire roll to the ‘MX’ button on my Fisheye 2. After taking nearly 200 shots (lost count) on 36 frames and reflecting on the result I give you this.
1. Take your camera everywhere you go – to work, to the club, to the bar, in the car, on your bike, on the train, to a meal, to bathroom, to bed, to the park. Sum up your entire day in one photo.
2. Use it anytime – layer up sunsets and moon rises, pre-drinks and the drunken aftermath, bands packing the van and the after party
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but a part of it – back to rule one, take it everywhere and share the love. “press that button then the Mx button and pass it to your left”. Teach your friends to shoot and convert non-believers to the church of Lomography! (and get yourself caught in some of the shots in the process)
4. Try the shot from the hip – Get the top and bottom of things. Don’t aim and just keep shooting, you’ll get it right eventually.
5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as possible – Capture things moving towards you from far off and from close up. Cause and effect. Catch the little details and the big picture all at once.
6. Don’t Think – Mx, Shoot, Mx, Shoot, Mx, Shoot, Mx, Shoot, Rinse and Repeat
7. Be Fast – Don’t be afraid to snap a shot and always be prepared to fire it off. Quick on the trigger.
8. You don’t have to know beforehand what you captured on film – opposite of rule 7! Try taking your time with one photo a day. By the end of the week you’ll have no idea what was on which frame
9. Afterwards either – After 5 exposures you’ll have to look at each photo for 10 mins. to figure it all out. ‘wow there’s a face on his knee’, ‘where did that road sign come from’ and of course ‘ummm, what the heck is that?!’
10. Don’t worry about the rules – Have Fun!