The next time you pay a visit to the City of Angels, make sure to drop by the newly opened Lomography Gallery, the first ever in the West Coast! More than that, you’ll get to meet one of our terrific partners, Michelle!
Our minty fresh Lomography Los Angeles Gallery Store just recently opened and the in-house analogue guru, Michelle, answers a couple of questions for us! Come in and say hello!
1. Congrats on the shop opening! We’re curious though, how did you get this wonderful job?
I was very lucky :) My background is mainly in wholesale for companies in the fashion and gift industries but I have always enjoyed photography and capturing the beautiful uniqueness of life’s special moments. This was a great fit since I get to be involved in wholesale and retail in a field that I respect and enjoy!
2. We know you recently had an incredible party. What was the wildest thing about the gathering?
That was a one crazy night! We had Austrian beer, Russian vodka and a record playing dj set to start out the night, then mariachis really livened up the party as they played through the crowd in full costume. The store was packed the whole night and we got in trouble with the fire Marshall for cooking fresh tacos in the street, but everyone had a great
3. So far, what’s the weirdest encounter you’ve had in-store?
Santa Monica Blvd. attracts a very unique crowd; there are quite a few eccentric characters that frequent our block. One lady that we have seen recently wears only pink, she wears a pink velour jumpsuit with pink sunglasses, pink tennis shoes and she pushes her dyed pink dog in a pink baby stroller!!! We are going to try to get her to pose with a Mr. Pink next time we see her!!!
4. Are there any Lomography regulars that frequent the gallery?
Yes, we have a few that practically live at the store and now there are regulars that have been attending every workshop we have offered.
5. What’s on the LA Gallery’s current playlist?
I just checked our Pandora Radio Station playlist and it looks like we listen to a wide variety of music here…A few stations in the list are Beirut Radio, Vivian Girls, Big Band and Swing, Johnny Cash, Modest Mouse, Portishead and The Smiths…
6. You’re in the thick on the glitz and glamour of LA. Has any celebrity graced the store with their presence?
We really aren’t in an area that is popular with the celebrities but Tracy Chapman has visited us a few times in the past weeks along with director Jonathan Gruber.
7. Since we’re on the topic of celebrities, who would play you in a movie?
I’ve always been told that I look a lot like Claire Danes…
8. Do you have any future or planned collaborations with other artists and outfits in mind?
We are working on a few, but they are still top secret for now…
9. Do you have any after work secret hideaways in LA that you’d like to share?
The Getty Museum is a nice place to spend an afternoon looking at art and enjoying the view of the city, cocktails at the Griffin in Atwater, The Farmers Market for brunch, The Polo Lounge for celeb sightings, The Lobster, Neptune’s Net and anywhere else that involves a nice view of the ocean…
10. What are the upcoming events you have in store for the locals?
World Pinhole Day is coming up so we have a really fun filled month planned…There will be workshops on pinhole photography and the LC-A+, among others, a build your own pinhole afternoon with live music by Seth Petterson and The Undertow, drinks, snacks and a late night of shopping and we will be ending the month with a workshop at the Santa Monica Pier where we will do sunset long exposures and light painting on the beach.