A handsome model from the Voigtlander revival cameras, the Bessa-T was introduced by Cosina in 2001 and supplemented the previous Bessa-L model. Find out more about this interesting 35mm rangefinder camera in this installment of Lomopedia!
Introduced in March 2001, the Voigtlander Bessa-T was Cosina’s follow-up model after the Bessa-L. This 35mm camera both fascinated and irked the photography world for a number of things. First, strangely, the Bessa-T had a 1.5 rangefinder built into its body, but no built-in viewfinder (you’ll need interchangeable viewfinders for this snapper).
Second, it was Voigtlander’s first rangefinder to sport the Leica M bayonet mount, with which it joined the so-called elite class of rangefinders (notably the Leica M models and the Konica Hexar RF), and effectively became the least expensive M mount camera ever made. Screw mount Voigtlander lenses can still be used with the Bessa-T using a standard adapter, and even supports full rangefinder coupling.
Third, the Bessa-T supports a trigger winder advance which can be attached at the bottom, which also had strap lugs that enable the camera to be hung vertically like the old Leica M5 or CL.
- Type: 35mm camera with focal plane shutter and TTL metering system
- Film Format: 35mm film, 24 × 36mm
- Lens Mount: VM Mount
- Shutter: Vertically moving metal focal plane shutter B, 1 – 1/2000 sec
- Self-Timer: Mechanical self-timer with 10 sec operating time
- Focusing: Coincidence type rangefinder
- Exposure display: Red <- mark LED = Overexposure warning; Green o mark LED = Good exposure indication; Red → mark LED = Underexposure warning
- Exposure Metering System: Center-weighted average metering by pressing shutter release button
- Exposure Coupling Range: EV 1-19 (ISO 100, f/1.4, 1 sec – f/16, 1/2000 sec)
- Flash Terminal: X Synchro contat. Synchronized at 1/125 sec or lower speed
- Film Advance: By single and/or multiple “inching” lever action. Double exposure lock system. Trigger winder available as optional extra.
- Film Rewind: By film rewind button and film rewind crank
- Frame Counter: Additive type with autoreset by opening the camera back
- Film Speed Range: ISO 25 – 1600 by 1/3 steps
- Power: Two 1.5V alkaline batteries (LR44) or Silver batteries (SR44)
- Dimensions: 135.5 (W) c 78.5 (H) x 33.5 (D) mm