Marrakech is a beautiful Moroccan city so filled with old Arabic world charm – like what one would imagine when reading an Arabic tale as a child. The Medina, architecture, dusty pink colored walls, winding alleys, friendly locals, traditional medicine stores, souks, amazing chaos in the main square….. all make Marrakech a truly memorable and unique destination like nowhere else in the world.
Marrakech is a truly magical city straight out of Arabic tales. I spent 3 days wandering around the medina alone, thoroughly enjoying being lost among the hundreds of winding alleys connecting the different squares and souks (markets). The old walls along the alleys are dusty pink in color, which, together with the mysterious Arabic atmosphere (to foreigners at least), made Marrakech an ideal place for lomography and slide film.
- Caleche ride outside the city walls DURING SUNSET when the pink city turns into very vibrant orange-red color
- Staying in a Moroccan riad instead of hotel. It’s a wonderful experience and the courtyards could be very pretty and tranquil.
- People watching from the chilled Cafe des Epices, over a cup of nice coffee with cinnamon powder.
- Watching the amazing chaos in Jemaa el Fna square from the rooftop of Cafe de France, during and after sunset.
- Bargaining from shop to shop in various souks.
- Checking out Moroccan traditional natural medicine shops with walls lined with jars of colorful herbs, spices, mysterious liquids.
- Getting all excited walking around the very colorful and beautiful garden in Jardin Majorelle
- Taking loads of pictures of the colorful city with my favourite Ektar 100, Portra 160VC, and Velvia 100.
written by tangmay on 2010-03-04 #places #pink #adventure #slide #square #marketplace #medina #location #arch #ektar-100 #botanical-garden #morocco #mysterious #xpro #wide-lens #velvia-100 #lc-a #riad #souk #arabic-tale #horseshoe-arches #jemaa-el-fna #jardin-majorelle #marrakech