Here’s another one of my film experiments. This time, I used detergent on my 35mm film roll! See the results after the jump.
This time, it is the turn of a poor Fuji Superia 200 expired in 2008 (it just arrived from the Online Shop.) But as I said in the other tipster, you can safely use other films (I always suggest you use low ISO like 100 up to 200) because from what I’ve seen, lower ISO films withstand the treatment better.
For this experiment we need a few things:
- First, our roll
- A product for any clean glasses
- And finally a dark room (as always, I use my bathroom as a darkroom)
IMPORTANT: All of these must be done in complete darkness so as not to burn all of the film.
With that said, we can now start our experiment!
1. The first thing to do is to place the film on the floor and stick both ends to it with tape. Remember to make it taut to get better results.
2. Well, now we are ready to spray our glass cleaner on the film, (I recommend to spray perpendicular to the film at a distance of 90 or 100cm so you can get nice-looking polka dots!)
After doing this, wait for a couple of minutes so that the film absorbs the detergent.
3. Now while still in the dark, detach the film from the floor and rewind the film back into the roll with the help of the scissor. Don’t forget to leave tongue out! And we’re almost done.
4. Now we leave the film dry and drain for the usual 2 or 3 weeks and then we are ready to go out and shoot.
Here are some interesting results from the experiment:
I really like these polka dots scattered on the negative. They make for a cool effect.
In another experiment, I used detergent and here are the results of the strips.
You can find other experiments here if you liked what I did with this one. Enjoy your experiments!