Morgan Maassen is a surf, fashion, and lifestyle photographer on the road with Quiksilver. As our newest LomoAmigo, he shares some of his adventures with our community.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Morgan Maassen, I am a 23 year old photographer from Santa Barbara, California.
2. How long have you been Lomo-ing?
I’ve been Lomo’ing since about a week after I picked up my first photo camera, almost 5 years ago. The Lomo Fisheye 2 is still the apple of my eye.
3. What’s your role at Quiksilver? What does it entail?
I am the staff photographer at Quiksilver, so I travel with the athletes like Dane Reynolds and Craig Anderson, doing a lot of action, lifestyle, and fashion shoots both abroad and home.
4. So level with us, are surfers as cool as they appear in Point Break?
Not quite, since we don’t rob banks with ex-president’s masks. But the surfers I am fortunate enough to travel with through Quiksilver are all incredibly interesting and diverse, and take me to places around the world. Alas, we haven’t skydived without parachutes yet :(
5. Other than surfers what are some of your favorite lesser known subjects to photograph?
I shoot a lot of adventure and fashion photography, as well as just documenting whatever I see. that usually consists of the ocean, dogs, cities, and just doing stuff with my friends.
6. If you could travel to any event in history and document it with your LC-A+, which event would you photograph and why?
I’ve always been fascinated by the Bikini Atoll nuclear tests and subsequent photographs of the event, so I would love to shoot that. Although, I probably wouldn’t handle the radiation too well, and the doubt the film would either.
7. Tell us about some of your best Quiksilver experiences.
The first trip I ever did for Quiksilver was to Reunion Island, which was one of the most wild places I’ve ever been to. Sharks, fire coral, stone fish, and the craziest melting pot of Africans and Europeans made it a really exotic experience. I also nearly got killed by a jetski that was trying to rescue me in the middle of the ocean in Australia, and I always cherish our wine-and-cheese fueled photo shoots in the fall of France.
8. Give us a soundtrack to jam to! What top three songs represent these shots to you?
My music is always changing, but these songs are golden to me forever:
Digable Planets – “Examination Of What”
The UMC’s – “one to grow on”
Beck – “The New Pollution”
9. What’s next in the world of Quiksilver?
We’re in France right now, trying to soak in the last of Fall’s warm waves and weather. Then we are off into the unknown of 2014’s photo shoots, filming with Kelly Slater in Hawaii, and whatever else the art directors throw at me :)
10. Could you give a few words of wisdom to others shooting with the LC-A+?
The LC-A+ is a plastic camera. Take it everywhere. Put it anywhere you’d put yourself. Use a ziplock bag if necessary. And always carry it on you! For you never know when your next masterpiece might appear.
written by lomographynyc on 2013-10-25 #people #black-and-white #analogue-photography #photographer #surfers #portraits #landscapes #analogue-cameras #color-negatives #lomoamigo #quiksilver #35mm-films #morgan-maassen