I had heard of the Holga, but it wasn’t for me. I mean, who would want a plastic camera? Then the idea started to grow on me but everybody had one. I wanted to be different.
Several months later I was in Indonesia (Jakarta, Kemang to be exact) walking around, and I saw her sitting there in her little box watching me. It took a couple of days, but I knew I had to make her mine.
I walked out of the store with a Glow-in-the-Dark Lomography Diana F+ and a wide angle lens. I was in love.
Over the last couple of months I have graced her with a 35mm back (it’s cheaper than Medium Format film) and a fish eyed lens. Here are my 5 rules to deal with her.
1. Always treat her with respect. She is a firey demon (like most woman) and if you do not treat her with the respect she deserves, she will refuse to work.
2. Always treat her with respect. I cannot stress this enough. She will hurt you like no other if you don’t.
3. She doesn’t like distance. The distance between you and her, and her and everything else. She likes to be close to your heart and her subjects
4. She doesn’t like the dark but she loves the flash. I have always had trouble with dark shots, which is strange for a camera that glows, but when she’s with her flash it’s true love.
5. Most important of all. Learn about her. When you learn about her, what she can do and what she can’t, it will be the start of a beautiful relationship.