Check out who won our Britspotting competition, and what our guest Jury thought about the photos for the exhibition!
Our Britspotting competition has finally come to a close, with almost 500 entries celebrating the gift of cinema. We asked our participants for entries representing a multitude of aspects of film. Our guest Jury members from
Britspotting chose the best photos that corresponded to their flair for movies, cinema, traditional film and everything else on the silver screen!
Now in its 10th year, Britspotting celebrates with Lomography on this special all-analogue competition to highlight the best in British-Irish film, as well as the diversity in cinema.
Head on to our gallery of winners and check out what our film critics have said about the entries.
To all of our winners, please re-scan your photos to (1800×1200) or higher resolution and e-mail to email@example.com ASAP. To our winners with Ticket prizes, please send pertinent contact information along with the e-mail. Thank you very much!
Grand Prize Winner
We felt that mephisto19’s image perfectly conjured up images of holidays in Britain and Ireland. The ice-cream resembles the “Mr.Whippy” ice-cream we all love from our childhoods and the look of surprise on the girl’s face is brilliant! Even the girl’s red hair is typically Celtic, and we might as well say it – it looks like she’s wearing a rain jacket in the summer time, which is typical for Britain and Ireland. For the purpose of the film festival, the ‘surprise’ element conveyed by the facial expression suits what we aim to do just perfectly. As a poster the colours are eye-catching and we think people will look at the poster, and wonder “what’s that all about?”.
Runner-up Second place:
quaisoir’s picture was always a firm favourite from the beginning; we felt the image conveyed a feeling of “spotting” or “looking” and the girl behind the curtain portrayed curiosity and intrigue. We also felt the image had something Hitcockian about it and the mystery surrounding what the girl was looking at would draw people to poster.
Runner-up Third place:
daredeye’s image had a great sense of humour about it, something britspotting always wants to represent! To be honest, we can’t say much about this because the photo speaks for itself, we’re just a little bit concerned about what the image might say about the Brits and the Irish and their love for a good time and a party! We love the woman’s foot in the corner of the photo too!
The winner, mephisto19 is invited to all britspotting events during it’s festival from the 13th-15th November, Berlin. quaisoir and daredeye also each win a pair of tickets to the opening night events on November, 13th.
The other photos that we loved and which will be displayed in one of our festival venues are, in no particular order:
- cubilas we love all the images of London that were submitted by cubilas
- alexroarsatlyons a witty, daring photo that makes us think of modern-day Mary Poppins
- mephisto19 the two men holding hands also represents britspotting’s aim to ‘always surprise’
- starsky a great colour scheme and undeniably recognised as a British beach
- eggzakly the big wheel and ice cream signs bring to mind holidays and British and Irish kitsch.
- lomo_bernis the chair has great colours and makes us think of holidays and those typical deck chairs that we love to sit on down by the sea
- jibamz also a top favourite, this colour scheme would work really well for us and the telescope neatly fits with our “spotting” theme.
- myriam-l an easy top choice, it’s Berlin and there’s clearly some “spotting” going on in the picture. We loved the urban feel to this and muted colour scheme.
- northwardnimbus this was such a simple image but works perfectly for a film festival.
- cubilas another one from cubilas, we love the atmosphere of the London tube station in this photo.
- anarchy the colours of this were very appealing and we were really drawn to the reflectivity portrayed in the photo.
- inotion very humourous! The Starwars photo is brilliant, a cult film but sadly not British or Irish!
- sugiyamasatomi a lovely double-exposure with some key words that fit the theme of britspotting.
- gepo1303 we know where the cinema in this photo is – Berlin! A lovely shot of an old-style cinema display board.