Film Processing Glossary


Here’s your personal online glossary that you can refer to anytime at home when you are ready to process your own film! This glossary will definitely make it easier for you once you start reading the instructions on those chemical bottles. Good luck and have fun developing!

Credits: titidvivant

Agitation The act of gently moving developing chemicals in a uniform motion to evenly process film or photographic prints

C-41 The most common color film processing created by Kodak. Today, most films are processed in C-41.

Color Negative When using color film, the exposed negative will show exactly the opposite of the original color. But when printing to photography paper, the negative colors will become positive colors, showing the exact color on the photograph.

Darkroom A completely unlit room or an area with that used to develop and process film and prints.

Developer The chemical that is used to remove the first outer layer of emulsion from film or photography paper that allows the images to be seen.

Developing Tank A small plastic or stainless steel tank that is used to place 35mm film rolls or 120 film rolls on spiral reels, for processing. They have a lightproof top that allows you to pour chemical solutions without exposing the film to light.

Dilution Reducing the strength of a liquid chemical by mixing it with an appropriate quantity of water.

Drying marks The residual marks that water drops form as they dry on the surface of a film.

Film A strip that is covered with emulsion, which captures light when exposed and leaves a negative or positive image that can be further processed into photography images.

Film Leader The extra small tab of film at the front of a 35mm film canister. The leaders helps you load your film into the camera.

Fixer Chemical solution used during film and print processing after stop bath to remove any unexposed silver, making the film or print no longer sensitive to light.

K14 The chemical process for developing Kodachrome slides.

Processing Producing the image from an exposed film or photographic paper using processing chemicals to develop it.

Replenisher A solution used to top up and maintain part used processing chemicals. This solution is used to extend the life of used stock.

Safelight Lights that are commonly used in a darkroom that will not expose light sensitive materials. Warning: Film should not be exposed to any light before development, not even the mentioned safelights.

Silver Halides The light sensitive element of common photographic emulsions.

Stop Bath Acid solution used after development to instantly stop further development.

Universal Developer Term used for a number of developing solutions, usually MQ, indicating that they can be used for both film and paper processing .

Washing Last part of the processing cycle, which removes residual chemicals and soluble silver complexes from the emulsion.

Water Bath Large water filled containers used to maintain processing trays, tanks or chemicals at the correct temperature.

If you have any other terms to add, please write it in the comments section below!

written by ilkadj on 2012-10-02 #gear #tutorials #film #developing #negative #tipster #development #darkroom #phrases #glossary #film-processing #terms #a-z

More Interesting Articles