LomoTess: Developing My Own Photos


For my art project, I had to take some photos with my Canon Sure Shot AF-7 and develop them. They had to have an alphabet theme, so I took shots of things beginning with random letters. It was my first time developing and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I shall certainly be doing it again.

First of all, inside a black bag with arm holes, I cut off the top of the Ilford HP-5 film canister with a can opener. Then I loaded the film onto a spiral and twisted it until all the film was properly in place. After that, I placed the spiral into the developing tank and poured the chemicals into it. I left it for a few days, and in my school’s dark room, I shook it every ten seconds for a while until my teacher said it was ready. I poured the developing chemicals out and rinsed the film carefully. Then, I took out the spiral, unwound the film, cut it in half, and left it to dry.

To develop my photos, I prepared all of my chemicals near the sink. In the first tray, I had 50ml of the paper developer and 450ml of water. The second tray was just the stop, I used water, and the third tray was 50ml of fix and 450ml of water. I also had a sink full of water and a place to hang my photos prepared too.

After that, I set up the enlarger with an infrared light; I put my film strip into the negative carrier with the picture I wanted in the window. I then placed that into the enlarger and set the timer to focus. I turned the lights off and with the safety on, I focused and adjusted the image. I put a strip of paper into the testing box and placed it under the enlarger, I changed the timer to four seconds and kept the strip under there while the image was projected onto it. Every four seconds, I covered a part of the strip until I had done it six times. Then, I put it into the developer while I rocked it and waited. When it had developed, I put it into the stop for 30 seconds and then the fix for a few minutes before finally leaving it in the water. After that, I did the exact same thing for the photo but on normal-sized paper after deciding which time was the best.

To be honest they didn’t turn out extremely well. But oh well, here’s a few of them:

written by tesslucia on 2012-09-06 #art #lifestyle #pictures #chemicals #dark-room #develop #tesslucia #lomotess-series

More Interesting Articles