This is the Lomography Questionnaire. Compare, contrast, draw inspiration from, and even shake your head in disagreement at the answers from our special guest contributors. Today, we’re featuring Joseph Pascual, a portrait photographer—and Spice Girls fan—from the Philippines.
“My goal is to shoot beautiful photos of people, not just photos of beautiful people,” says young and upcoming photographer, Joseph. His work has appeared in publications such as Supreme, Preview, and Rogue, thanks to a Film degree, Canon 5D, and some serious stalking skills. Find out more about Joseph below.
Name/alias: Joseph Pascual (otherjoseph)
Field: Portrait Photography
Location: Manila, Philippines
Choose one analogue image that represents you.
1. Describe your first memory as if it were a still photograph.
I’m in the middle of my parents’ old walk in closet with mirrors on both sides. The both of them are on the floor putting together a giant Siberian tiger puzzle, and I am playing with one puzzle piece. Behind us is the last puzzle they completed, which is Big Ben.
2. What’s one quality you wish you had?
The quality I wish I had more of is patience to think, or to calm down, or to wait.
3. Who or what was the first thing you fell in love with?
The first thing I fell in love with was the internet- before that we weren’t allowed to watch TV, and I had finished reading most of the interesting books in the house. Getting connected to the internet opened up an enormous new world I could explore.
4. What would you rid this world of in a heartbeat?
I don’t know what I’d rid the world of. Maybe pride. Every other bad thing should follow.
5. What decade in history would you like to step into and why?
I’d love to step into the nineties all over again, and be there when Wannabe by the Spice Girls debuts.
6. If you could hang as a camera around anyone’s neck, who would that someone be?
If I were a camera, I’d hang around Terry Richardson’s neck. I hate him. But the photos will be CRAZY.
7. Where’s your secret garden, where you can escape to?
I regularly escape to the Maginhawa St. branch of Moonleaf Tea Shop. I edit and surf, and can hang out for hours, almost every other day.
8. What famous person (dead or alive) would like to have a drink with?
I would definitely want to have a drink with Amy Winehouse.
9. If you could no longer see, what’s one image you’d like burned in your mind?
I’d rather die than be blind. Seriously.
10. Who’s your hero, in fiction or in real life?
I don’t have heroes. Instead I have ideas.