Occupy is a force hitting the world. It is a new kind of protest: peaceful but attention-grabbing. This is my coverage of the very start of Occupy LSX about a month ago.
Many people have their different views and opinions on the people down at St Pauls sleeping in tents. (A few of which I now and hope to join in the near future)
I respect the protesters and agree with their views and was there to show my solitude on the first day of occupy. They don’t want our politics to be dictated by people who wish solely to benefit themselves. They want equality.
They are not going to shut up or go down lightly. They are a force of cheesed off individuals, a force to be reckoned with. On the first day of protest they held a public assembly on the steps of St. Pauls where everyone there helped writing their initial statement.
Initial Statement. Over 500 people on the steps of St Paul’s, #occupylsx collectively agreed the initial statement. Like all forms of direct democracy, the statement will always be a work in progress and used as a basis for further discussion and debate.
- The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.
- We are of all ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.
- We refuse to pay for the banks’ crisis.
- We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.
- We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.
- We support the strike on the 30th November and the student action on the 9th November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.
- We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world’s resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.
- The present economic system pollutes land, sea and air, is causing massive loss of natural species and environments, and is accelerating humanity towards irreversible climate change. We call for a positive, sustainable economic system that benefits present and future generations.
- We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.
#This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!
The Police then went onto kettle them. These are a few of my pictures from the first day of Occupy St. Pauls:
The Lomo LC-Wide boasts the newly-developed 17mm Minigon Ultra-Wide Angle lens. This 35mm camera wonder is the perfect companion for your photo expeditions. It produces eye-catching splashes of colour with astonishing saturation and contrasts with the added versatility of 3 different formats. Open up to a new photographic experience with the LC-Wide, available in our Shop.