Good and a true companion in street photography and portraiture.
The Konica Hexar AF is a really great camera. I can’t even believe that’s even though its’ small, it has so many nice and useful features including a wonderful and sharp lens(35mm/f.2.0) with outstanding bokeh!
In 1993 the first original black Hexar AF was presented where around 2000 pieces were produced. Followed shortly after by the black Hexar with databack, then the rhodium edition, silver chrome finish Hexars, Gold Hexar (only 500 were made), and finally in 1997 the Silver Hexar.
Sometimes it says this camera is the one professional photographers take when they are on vacation. Judge for yourself – you can operate it as a point and shoot (program mode) or for more tricky controls enable aperture priority and even full manual control. Some of its best features are a big and bright viewfinder with parallax correction, focus and under/over exposure indication, and a precise and fast auto focus system.
This camera is also equipped with an external dedicated HX914 flash which syncs at all speeds. It also works in aperture priority, manual, or program modes. With its hotshoe, you can use any flash with it as well
It’s also considered as the ideal stealth street camera for its quiet motorized film advance (the original black Hexar and black Hexar Autodate have “stealth” film advance mode, in later silver models it activates by manually reprogramming).
You can also find some more infromation.
So in conclusion, here are the best characteristics of the Hexar:
- Great and outstanding lens.
- Several operative modes(pro gramme, aperture priority and manual).
- “Stealth” mode.
- Solid and comfortable body.
While the cons are:
- Inconvenient function operation (only 2 small function buttons “Select” and “MF” available).
- Top speed is 1/250….Not so good especially with high ISO films.
- Batteries. Powered by one 2CR5 6 volt lithium battery (for an estimated 200 24 exposure rolls). This batteries is not easy to come by (especially in my country) and pretty expensive.
I prefer this camera for taking more classy looking images especially in b&w and for candid photography.