Black_friday_en

Fun Times Trying Out Lomochrome Purple with Color Filters

Do you love Lomography's Lomochrome Purple XR 100-400 film? Me too! So let's see what it does when we shoot it through an assortment of color filters. I tried to document everything well enough that others could replicate and experiment on their own. I hope you find it useful.

Photo by alienmeatsack

The basic premise of this tipster is to let you see what you could get from Lomochrome Purple when shot through an assortment of color filters. Some of the results were surprising to me, others were lackluster. There were definitely certain filters that stood out, though.

I shot the entire roll using a Voigtlander Bessa R4A with VC 15/4.5 lens. I set the camera to Auto mode, the ISO to 200 (the sweet spot for LCP), and then used the -2/+2 exposure adjustment for each filter when shooting.

I first took three sample shots of the scene at 0 exposure, then at -2 and +2 exposure for a baseline. The rest of the shots were the same premise, letting the camera adjust its shutter speed for each filter based on the ISO and exposure setting used.

No Filter:

And then our assortment of color filters was next. Most of mine were Tiffen brand minus the Hoya IR filter.

Blue 47:

Red 25 (Tiffen):

11 Green 1 (Tiffen):

85B:

IR R72 (Hoya):

MysteryA (Not sure what filter this was):

As you can see, the different color filters can have quite a bit of an effect on your shots, depending on exposure. I think that the Red 25 and Blue 47 had the most interesting general impact on the shots. But the 11 Green 1 was the most surprising to me on the +2 exposure. It looks almost like standard LCP heavily exposed.

I think some of these filters have more potential when exposed longer; many of the +2 exposure shots changed visually more then the others in the set. So what will you do with your Lomochrome Purple and color filters?

To see all of the results, please check out my LomoHome and the album I created for all of the shots here.

written by alienmeatsack

1. adi_totp

adi_totp

85B FTW!! love that one!!

4 months ago · report as spam
  2. herbert-4

herbert-4

Wonderful album!! What color was mystery a filter?

4 months ago · report as spam
  3. dopa

dopa

great work, thanks for that!

4 months ago · report as spam
  4. asharnanae

asharnanae

oooh, cool tipster! I may have to try my own filtrers out on this film now. I have a tricolour, red, green, fluorescent (mild magenta pink), and IR. I have to say, the green and IR look like intersting possibilities :)

3 months ago · report as spam
  5. abecd

abecd

The 85B and mysterious filter look cool!

3 months ago · report as spam
  6. forceusr

forceusr

I'm a fan of the green and the 85b. Nice job, Sir.

3 months ago · report as spam
  7. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack

@adi_totp, @herbert-4, @dopa, @asharnanae, @abecd and @forceusr, thanks!

The Mystery filter was a warming or yellow filter but I am not sure which one. I made a detailed list of each filter before I left w notes in my notebook for each one. Then when I got to the park, I had several filters I didn't note or think I'd use. So I shot some of those.

It was most likely either a TIFFEN "8 Yellow 2" or a TIFFEN 812. The former being a standard yellow filter for BW shoots and the latter being a very light warming filter. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it was the yellow filter as the warming filter would have barely had any effect on the shots.

3 months ago · report as spam
  8. rocafish

rocafish

uou, love the colours of the first take, with the -2 exposure, really shows the best of lomopurple!

3 months ago · report as spam
  9. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack

@rocafish, I think Lomochrome Purple is very versatile, with or without a filter. A few stops here or there can really make a change in it. I personally like it when everything is purple and the sky is green, but I also like the darker deep purple stuff as well. :D

3 months ago · report as spam
  10. fotomacher

fotomacher

When I photographed the model Envii, she had a magenta lamee/corsette. See the result of chartreuse with lomo purple chrome. These were slow shutter speeds of about 3 or 4 seconds and shot as if ASA 200 and no filters. http://www.lomograph(…)os/19511229

12 days ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch & Nederlands.