Side Effects: Cocktail Red Passion

This month, I'll be teaching you how to use different techniques to add effects to your photos. BE patient enough and follow these quick tips to find out how I manipulated my film to achieve reddish tones in my photos.

Photo by simonesavo

I’d like to call this experiment the “Cocktail Red Passion” because while I was preparing the film soup, I noticed this intense red color that you just saw.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• A roll of film
  • Drinking glass
  • Warm water
  • A spoonful of Gin
  • Two tablespoons of Alkermes (the liquor that is used for cakes)
  • A couple of Brioschi effervescent granules or similar products

Steps:

1. First off, pour warm water into the glass. Fill half of the glass.

2. Now pour the liquor next in this order: one tablespoon of gin and two tablespoons of Alkermes.

3. Without mixing the contents of the glass, we then put in the roll.

4. Now let’s take a few grains of the digestive (Brioschi) and pour it into the glass. Thanks to the lukewarm water, the solution will begin to make small bubbles. Pour 4 or 5 other grains and let it rest for three days.

After three days, remove the film from the liquid and wait for the roll to dry.

N.B. The cocktail that remains in the glass should be discarded and must not be drunk.

Drying the film
We can choose 2 ways to do this:

The simplest but also the longest is that of leaving the film to dry on its own (on average it takes a couple of weeks).

For a faster drying process, we will have to remove the film from the roll. In this case, the whole procedure must be carried out in complete darkness, or else we run the risk of burning the emulsion with light. Obviously when you’re drying the film, it’s good to always do it in the dark. We have to rewind it and leave a little piece of the leader to insert it into the camera.

Regardless of the drying technique you use, the results will still be the same. You just have to put our roll in the camera and start shooting and wait for the results from the lab.

The results:

As you can see the effect is very special. The dominant colors are purple/red.

Please don’t forget to share your results with us after you try it!

written by simonesavo and translated by simonesavo

1. abecd

abecd

Nice article! i wanted to try it but i think it will be difficult for me to get a gin, can you suggest a replacement for the gin? or do you have another technique maybe?
    Nice photos by the way!^^

2. simonesavo

simonesavo

Thanks @abecd , mmmm you can use whiskey or vodka, in theory is fine any alcohol greater than 40°. For other experiments, find my articles but most are in Italian.

For example, Side Effects: http://www.lomograph(…)collaterali+
    Or Experiment: http://www.lomograph(…)xperiment+n

3. lfought

Great idea! I can't wait to try it! A couple of questions though.... what causes the streaking on the images? Do you think it would help to aggitate the film a little everyday? And shouldn't you tell your lab about this? Couldn't it mess up their chemistry?

4. simonesavo

simonesavo

Thanks @lfought , the plot is due to the film soup. While the chemical can not tell you before I did all my lab develop confidence in both normal movie pellcole soup and I have never done stories. Now development all by myself and I've never had any problems :)

5. lfought

Thanks, @simonesavo. I can develop black and white film, but I do not have the ability to develop color film myself so I have to take it to a photo lab to process. I'm afraid it would alter their chemistry and effect other film that was also being processed. I will try to find a lab that can develop a single roll by hand. I am very excited to try this!

6. simonesavo

simonesavo

@lfought if you can show me the results :)

7. lfought

@simonesavo Yes! I sent you a message on Facebook. ;)

8. emilyrenae93

emilyrenae93

I run a lab, and please please please do not take these to a regular lab unless it's one that does only one roll per batch of chemicals (most do not.) And if you do, tell them so that they can wait until the end of the day to do those rolls so that they do not mess up other rolls of film :)
  9. lfought

@emilyrenae93 Thank you for verifying. I was afraid of that. Do most labs dump their chemicals at the end of the day? I would imagine they are exhausted, right?

10. astyy

I take mine to the local supermarket and just tell them what I've washed it in and they just ring the company who own the machine to confirm it's okay then ring me a few days later to say the films done. And their machine doesn't get emptied just topped up throughout the day. So if you are taking it anywhere just get them to check with the person who owns/makes the machine .
  11. emilyrenae93

emilyrenae93

@lfought Most do not, but we test the chemicals every morning to make sure there is nothing wrong with them but we don't usually test during the day. So if the rolls are ran last, very minimal chance that anything would be messed up since everything is checked first thing in the morning. If there is something wrong with the chemicals when we test, we dump them and add new.
  12. simonesavo

simonesavo

@lfought @astyy and @emilyrenae93 The problem arises if the film is not yet dry .. but if the film is completely dry we do not lose a portion of the emulsion 1 2 chemists are not polluted. There is talk of altering the chemical .. with films such as Kodak Vision 200T first to be developed to be removed layer rem-jet and this is done by washing the film in the tank with warm water and soda for a couple of minutes. Once emptied the tank can develop normally film in C-41. In this case, the chemicals do not pollute? I am years that I do these movies Soup and mo lab has never had any problems, same thing with my chemicals.

13. pasadena85

pasadena85

hey you can also dry it by freezing it for some days and then let it dry by its own

14. lfought

I worry the emulsion could be affected @pasadena85. Have you tried doing it that way?

4 months ago · report as spam
  15. pasadena85

pasadena85

@lfought: I do that every time when I do an experiment with film :)

4 months ago · report as spam
  16. lfought

Very good to know! @pasadena85 How many days do you freeze it and then how many days do you let it sit afterwards?

4 months ago · report as spam
  17. pasadena85

pasadena85

oh..hum..I don't exactly know, I think a week freezing and a week afterwards. but always in the plastic canister with open lid @lfought

4 months ago · report as spam

The original version of this article is written in: Italiano. It is also available in: Deutsch & Français.