Is Having Your Analogue Treasure Repaired Worth It?

Sometimes it is worth having your analogue camera repaired instead of getting a replacement. Read on to find out why.

It was a sad evening, when my Rollei XF 35 broke all of a sudden. The lens came off and I was not able to fix it.

I looked up what it would cost to get a new used XF 35 all over the Internet. At the same time, I found someone, who can repair old Rollei cameras. I sent him a picture of my broken camera and asked him, how much it would cost to repair the damage. I was positively surprised about his answer: it was the same amount as buying a new used XF35.

I sent him the camera and asked if he’d also fix the trigger button. About 4 weeks later, I got the camera back. It looked almost like it’s brand new. Not only did they fix the lens mount and the trigger button, but they also painted the film advance lever anew. They also adjusted the electronics in such way that even with non mercury batteries, I get correct exposures every time. Prior to this fix, I had to set the film speed slower than what actually was inside the camera, to get somewhat properly exposed pictures.

To sum it up, having my Rollei XF 35 repaired was the better choice than getting a replacement on the Internet. The costs were the same, however, the outcome from the repair shop was much better because of the adjusted electronics. If you have trouble with a worn-out or broken analogue camera, refurbishing or repairing can be a good option.

Rollei XF35 with Lomo Purple

written by inrod

1. ineffable_ice

nice..sumtime owning one gd camera is better than owning two problematic camera..

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  2. herbert-4

herbert-4

Good article!! A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  3. iamtheju

iamtheju

Brilliant. I think this is an important thing to remember. If you had bought a new camera then your old one would have stayed dead and there would be one less analogue camera in the world!
    Can I request that you post the name/site/phone number of the repair show? Not for myself, but it seems right to credit them for their work.

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  4. clickiemcpete

clickiemcpete

There are some really good repair services out there. For German folding cameras from the 1930's-50's Certo 6 is the guy here in the states, just Google his website. I have also used Mark Hansen at http://www.zeissikon(…)repair.com/ for 127 film cameras and he is very good. And you can try a Google search for your country or area and some good sources should pop up. I love to bring old cameras back to life and it is well worth it if the equipment is high quality.

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  5. davidb

davidb

My LC-A is at the repair shop right now :-(. Hope it's going to be alright.

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  6. the_frayed

the_frayed

Nice concise little article with lovely pictures.

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  7. sedgetone

sedgetone

I paid to get my 166 Universal fixed and didn't regret it. I've had it for 21yrs and could have picked up another from eBay for half the amount it cost to service. Very glad I got it done.

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  8. inrod

inrod

My goodness, it looks like I hit in the heart of lomography. Thanks for your comments and likes @sedgetone, @the_frayed, @davidb, @clickiemcpete, @iamtheju, @herbert-4, @ineffable_ice! Of course the credit for the wonderful repair goes to :

about 1 month ago · report as spam
  9. davidb

davidb

By the way, my lc-a works fine again :).
    If you need a good repair in Paris, go to:
    www.formosaflash.com/

about 1 month ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: 日本語 & Deutsch.