Black_friday_en

How to make Bokeh Rabbits with your Petzval lens!

Wanna make light blurs appears as rabbit ? Cool, right? Then read this!

Bokeh comes from the Japanese word boke (ボケ), which means “blur” or “haze”, or boke-aji, the “blur quality.” Bokeh is pronounced BOH-Kə or BOH-kay.

When we shoot a shallow depth-of-field (DOF) image that has high contrast in the background, especially bright lights – for example sun through trees or foliage, and say traffic lights viewed at distance at night – those textures are not shown as sharp objects in the camera on shallow DOF.

Instead the less sharp lights turn to round orbs which overlap because of the roundness of the overlapping diaphragm blades in the lens, and this effect is called “Bokeh”. Depending on the aperture setting and type of lens, occasionally the corners or overlaps of these blades is visible in the photo’s bokeh. Bokeh becomes more prominent with night time shots.

This, then means that if the lens diaphragm blades are round they create a round orb in your viewfinder and on the image taken. You can then change the shape of the bokeh in your photos by adding another shape – basically any shape you like.

To do this you can either make your own shapes and cut them out of black paper or plastic or alternatively you can buy a bokeh kit – which has a piece of plastic that you attach to the end of your lens (I used elastic bands) and then you can attach the shape of your choice to the end of that lens via the slot provided – in this particular case I chose a rabbit.

The pack I bought contained 72 different shapes – the shapes included a diverse range from hearts, leaves, and smiles to witches, spanners and snowflakes! I elected as a precaution to also tape the rabbit in place as it was a rather windy evening!

You can use an analogue or digital camera to create this effect, it matters not. In the gallery you can see the effect of Bokeh at night with and without the rabbit shape. The Lomography X Zenit Petzval Art Lens was perfect to use to create this effect.

written by scootiepye

1. scootiepye

scootiepye

Are you a fan of #Boken ? Then come join us - https://www.facebook.com/groups/735050849860269/

8 months ago · report as spam
  2. scootiepye

scootiepye

EEp! Once more without typos - I hit post too early!

Are you a fan of #Bokeh ? Then come join us - https://www.facebook.com/groups/735050849860269/

Bokeh - The art of quality photographic blur!

8 months ago · report as spam
  3. sandravo

sandravo

Were these shot on film?

8 months ago · report as spam
  4. scootiepye

scootiepye

@sandravo - looks like old fashioned plate images right ? Actually it was taken using a combination of Hipstamatic lens and film type for the iPhone. I'm shooting plate film a bit later in the year as it happens - I will post some up when they are done :)

8 months ago · report as spam
  5. sandravo

sandravo

I'm interested in the bunny shots: were they shot on film? Cause it looks like you have the petzval mounted on a digital Nikon body.

8 months ago · report as spam
  6. scootiepye

scootiepye

@sandravo oh so sorry I misunderstood you! Yes the bunny shots they are digital shots - Nikon D90 body with the New Lomography Petzval lens (as you know) you could shoot these on with a film camera and on film also no problem! Gonna try it?

8 months ago · report as spam
  7. sandravo

sandravo

I have done this on film, including some with the petzval . I was just looking for info on how you shot them, if they were analog photos. A year ago that was a given, every picture on lomography was analog, now things are getting confusing. Even more so when pics are labeled as shot on hipstamatic film, with an iphone 5. ;-)

8 months ago · report as spam
  8. scootiepye

scootiepye

@sandravo yeah that's certainly true - times change however - I was not a digital fan at all but over the years I've begun to experiment a little more with it, now I like the fact that you can mix up old and new technology and it still be progressive creatively. It has a certain pioneer feel to it and that reminds me of the early days here at lomography.

8 months ago · report as spam
  9. mnyc

You are a genius
    8 months ago · report as spam
  10. scootiepye

scootiepye

@mnyc Hey again! Your everywhere! Nah sticking black plastic to a lens with a rabbit on it makes me at best 'interesting' :) I appreciate the thought however!

8 months ago · report as spam
  11. alexkon

alexkon

Also try to make the other glass. Interesting article. Thank you!

5 months ago · report as spam
  12. scootiepye

scootiepye

@alexkon Hey! very welcome ! :) I love grass ^^

5 months ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch & Spanish.