Petzval_header_october_2014

Take Fisheye Pictures with Your Konstruktor!

Ever wondered how fisheye photos would look like when done with a Konstruktor? I wondered about that too and tried the Fisheye Lens Adapter on my Konstruktor to find out. The results are great and the adapter brings loads of fun when used with this DIY shooter!

Many of you may know the Fisheye Lens Adapter for SLR or compact cameras that’s easily attached to the end of the lens. Mine is from Hama and has the factor 0.42. I get from my 50mm lens a 21mm sized optic with fisheye effect.

Photo by pearlgirl77

The Konstruktor has a screw mount of 37mm. When you have the right screw adapter, you can fix the fisheye lens on the end of it. I just put the adapter on the end of the lens to test it. It wasn’t easy to focus but I thought it’s okay for testing. Now that I know that it looks good, I’ll probably buy an adapter ring.

For comparison, I took this picture with the normal focal length first and again with fisheye adapter. Remember to mind where you place your fingers before you take pictures!

Photo by pearlgirl77
Photo by pearlgirl77

I took a double exposure photo with the same subject at first with the normal focal length and the second with the adapter.

Photo by pearlgirl77

Here are my results with the fisheye lens adapter:

Experiment with it! It’s a fun way to mix things up with the Konstruktor camera. I hope Lomography makes a great wide-angle lens or fisheye optic for the Konstruktor soon. I would sure love it if they did!

Your Pearlgirl

written by pearlgirl77 and translated by pearlgirl77

1. ctno3

ctno3

Well if its a 37mm screw fit would any of the holga lens adapters work over the original lens?
    It would need a little experimenting as i dont have a konstructor i cant mesure the distance between lens and film plane to know if it would still focus.
    it could be an easy alternitive if it works and holga direct tend to do the adapters at not a bad price

2. pearlgirl77

pearlgirl77

@ctno3 yes... it fits.. the next days a tipster go online with konstruktor and the holga lens from @nia_ffm

3. nigell

nigell

Excuse the question, but are you sure about the 37mm filter thread, my Konstruktor doesn't seem to have a filter thread of any size?

4. ctno3

ctno3

@nigell
    with most toy camera mods you dont actualy need a threading to fit a filter or lens
    Very often just a little cairful fidleing (and a little force and or superglue) with a similar size filter you can attach items as they imbed in the plastic
    I often ad uv filters to protect my lenses and make the cameras useable with other filters
    it adds a threading via the uv filter that i can use

5. ctno3

ctno3

@pearlgirl77
    Great news i look forward to reading about it :)

6. pearlgirl77

pearlgirl77

@nigell no?... mhhh but @freakoftheweek you put a filter with 37mm on your konstruktor right?

7. nia_ffm

nia_ffm

@ctno3 yes, I wrote an article, but in german ;) But you can have a look at my first results here: With the Holga Fisheye lens http://www.lomograph(…)os/19334941 and the Holga filters: http://www.lomograph(…)os/19334936

8. ctno3

ctno3

@nia_ffm great i can see a few obvious photos but as the link is german i cant realy tell what others are with the holga parts or not but if you ever translate it id love to read it :)

9. nigell

nigell

@ctno3 @pearlgirl77 Ah, I see, I need to get 'creative' (something that doesn't come easy lol) There definitely isn't a filter thread on the Konstruktor, but I can see how something could be attached, further investigation is required (or wait until the article by @nia_ffm is translated :)

10. pearlgirl77

pearlgirl77

@nigell haha.. essential is having fun with the konstruktor ;)

11. ctno3

ctno3

I didnt like the look of the konstructor as i have and use a recensky tlr home build camera but seeing the mods and how they improve the image quality i may just buy one :)

12. freakoftheweek

freakoftheweek

@nigel
    I use an 37mm to 46mm Step Up Adapter to use my 46mm Filters, Wide, Fisheye and Tele Lenses that i got together with some Oldschool JVC VHS-C Camcorders on my Konstruktor.
    The Konstruktor Lens don't have an own Filter Thread, but you can screw very easy 37mm Step Up's or Filters to the Lens. In the end i glued the Step Up to the Lens, because the plastic from the Lens peels of when you screw often and thight to hold the massive metal Lenses strong at the Konstruktor. The glue is the clue, now i can use all the stuff without thinking that it falls down at shooting.
    I will do a Tipster when i finished the Roll.

13. pearlgirl77

pearlgirl77

@ctno3 i love my konstruktor and the results ;)
    @freakoftheweek thanks for that information ;)

14. barocio

barocio

@pearlgirl77 @ctno3 @nia_ffm
    One of the first things I tried with the Konstruktor was the Holga fisheye. I tried using it as with the Holga [setting the focus ring to infinity], but my focus was usually off. I found that if I set the focus to nearest (0.5 m) the focusing was better, and usually with subjects close.

This is the best I've come up with so far: http://www.lomograph(…)os/19014538

I'd love to hear if you have any tips on using the Holga fisheye on the Konstruktor. (=

15. barocio

barocio

Also, great photos!

16. pearlgirl77

pearlgirl77

@barocio here my pictures with the holga lens: http://www.lomograph(…)os/19249890
    i look to the viewer to look what is sharp and set the focus

17. ctno3

ctno3

@barocio
    The best way to test the focus distances if you viewfinder isnt helping

This is how .....open the back when the camera is empty
    put some opake tape over a film mask
    in a darkend room light up a subject and using bulb mode fire the shutter the image will be imposed on to the tape
    you can now see whats in focus at what points of distance Depending how you set your lenses by moving the camera or subject
    Remember to take note as you dont wanna have to do this over and over

I use this test on all my cameras, it give me certian acurate details at what points my camera will focus at and if there is any problems.
    it is also non distructive it just takes a bit of time and attention to do

I hope that helps :)

18. nigell

nigell

@freakoftheweek Thanks for the advice, I look forward to seeing your results and tipster when ready :)

19. barocio

barocio

@pearlgirl77 I've tried using the viewfinder, but it didn't work well. )=

Thanks for the tip @ctno3 ! Really smart. I'll try that before my next roll. (=

9 months ago · report as spam

The original version of this article is written in: Deutsch. It is also available in: Français.