Petzval_header_october_2014

Automatic Crop of Lomokino Frames

Here’s a method to automatically crop frames from scanned lomokino strips, using freely available software.

Installing software

1. Download and install GIMP (here)
2. Download script “DivideScannedImages.scm” (here)
3. Move script into gimp script folder: >>>\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts
4. Open GIMP. Go to >Preferences>Folders>Scripts select the right folder and click OK
5. In GIMP, go to Filters>Script-Fu and click Refresh scripts
6. Go to filters, “Divide Scanned Images…” should be at the bottom of the list.

Scanning Lomokino rolls

I prefer scanning the maximum number of frames in one single image, to get the same scan settings (color and light correction) in all frames. As for any other scans, try different scanning areas (ref) and turn off the scanner’s automatic corrections, before expanding your scanning area to cover all frames. If you have more frames than you can fit into one film holder (most likely), scan a first batch, then open your scanner lid, and scan immediately the second batch WITHOUT doing a preview. In this way, all frames from one roll will have the exact same scan settings. Previewing before scanning would reset the scanner’s settings and you would end-up with a sudden change of exposure/color/contrast in the middle of your movie.
Scan at 2400dpi, output in uncompressed ‘.tiff’

Using software

Before starting, you’ll need to set how jpegs are exported from GIMP, to ensure the best quality. To do so, open any image and export it as jpeg. When the dialogue box asking for export settings appears, go to ‘Advanced options’, select ‘Use quality settings from original image’ and click on ‘Save Default’.

Now let’s get to business.

1. Open your scan in GIMP. It should look like this:

2. Take the crop tool, and crop around the first strip of frames. Zoom in to be more precise, trim at the edge of the frames at each extremity.

3. Go to Image>Canvas Size. Add 200 pixels to both Width and Height, click ‘Center’, then ‘Resize’.

4. Change your background color to black, then go to image>Flatten image. Your strip is now ready for the automated script.

5. Go to ‘Filters’ and select “Divide Scanned Images…”. You have there a set of parameters you can play with, and the directory and naming of your future individual frames. I’ve had good results with the settings shown in the next image:

6. Click ‘OK’ and let the magic happen. Once finished, start again with the next strip. If no magic is happening, try changing the settings. You can also save your strips into a folder, and batch process them using the script (go to Filters>Batch tools and select the script).

You have now all your frames ready to be imported in a video editing software. As you noticed, there is still a manual step of cropping strips, like in the wonderful autokino by mandi. But I must say that the results are better, lossless, and you can change settings if needed. One could hope that the genius that produced this script would find a way to extract all the frames from the original scan, and number them in the right sequence… One could hope…

written by stouf

1. adi_totp

adi_totp

BROOOO!! thanks for this tipster!!! :D

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  2. stouf

stouf

@adi_totp Thank you lens-licker broooo ! : )

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  3. istionojr

istionojr

wohooo! just works excellently! I've tried several way to crop every single frame from the negative strip and this one is the easiest and reliable, only click-click away!
    thanks for the tipster, really simplify the cropping process. #)

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  4. istionojr

istionojr

oh then for the step Script-Fu Divide Scanned Images I found this one is the best setting for me (for this setup may vary on every computer configuration):
    *Selection Threshold: 35
    *Size Threshold: 100
    *Abort Limit: 50

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  5. stouf

stouf

@istionojr Ah! Thanks for testing it mate! I found that the selection threshold could vary between 10-35. But if you go too high and your frames are dark, the crop might be too small...

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  6. matt_skwid

matt_skwid

cool tip that can save lots of time!
    if you are not afraid of many hours in front of a monitor you can individually crop your images and get results like this http://www.lomograph(…)spun-thread

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  7. stouf

stouf

@matt_skwid I am afraid of many hours in front of a monitor. : ) But I must say it was worth it, you're movie is wonderful ! : )

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  8. glynchan

glynchan

Not sure why but it doesn't work for me even after I follow all the instructions. I am using Mac OS X and the images I am cropping are two-in-a-frame ones which is the ones I got back from the photo lab. At Step 6, after I click OK, the programme seems to run and some running scripts appear at the bottom of the window and after that it is back to the original image. Hope someone can help, as this is quite a deterrent to make more lomokino movies :(

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  9. stouf

stouf

@glynchan Sorry to hear you're having problems... I know nothing about Macs so I can't really help... : (

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  10. glynchan

glynchan

@stouf Thanks for your reply anyway and thanks for sharing this excellent tip for the auto crop ;)

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  11. jonasfx

jonasfx

thanks for the tip! with toycameras I often have irregular spacing between frames and the scanner softwares own image crop doesn't always fit so I scan and crop after many times.
    this might speed things up a lot! :)

12 months ago · report as spam
  12. sinema

sinema

very helpful, thanks!

3 months ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português.