Here's a quick fix for that large Russian Lubitel tripod thread!
The Russian-made Lubitel is notorious for having a tripod thread that is larger than most cameras. That tripod thread is too large for the standard tripod mounting plate screw and the camera will wobble a lot when mounted.
A tripod bushing or adapter with a 1/4" to 3/8" female screw (or a mounting plate with that bushing) is needed to keep this camera steady. These are super cheap but they aren’t easily available in just any hardware or camera store. The most convenient way to get these are off of Amazon or eBay and you’d have to pay for shipping, which will probably be more expensive than the screws themselves!
If you don’t have one of these lying around at home and you’re desperate to mount that Lubitel on a tripod for a slow shutter shot or a selfie, don’t despair! There’s a quick fix that you can do it just a matter of minutes!
All you need is a good quality double-sided foam tape.
If you’re an art supply hoarder like me, you’ll probably have one of these at home already. If you don’t, just stop by your local office or art supplies store. I’m pretty sure you’ll find one there for cheap!
Here’s what you need to do:
01. Grab your Lubitel and turn it over so it’s upside down.
02. Tear off two half-an-inch pieces of foam tape.
03. Stick both pieces of tape on both sides of the tripod thread on your Lubitel without covering the thread itself. Then peel off the non-adhesive protective paper.
04. Take your tripod and remove the mounting plate. Screw it on your camera until it sticks securely to the tapes.
05. When you’re sure that the mounting plate is secured nicely on your camera, mount it on the tripod and you’re all set!
Now remember that this is just a temporary fix. If you want a more permanent fix, I recommend getting that tripod adapter. It’s less than $10 from Amazon.
And while you’re on there, I recommend getting the Dolica Proline Tripod with a Ball Head if you’re looking for a good tripod. It’s really cheap but it’s made of sturdy stuff and it’s super flexible!