How to Make Homemade Red Scale Film

This is an article introducing how to make homemade red scale film. There are already some fabulous articles about how to make red scale films out there, however I decided to make one with my method. This method keeps film frames in order, and it is useful for EBS (Exposing Both Sides of film) trick as well ☺

【What to Prepare】
1. Color negative film (I recommend films over 400 ISO)
2. Scissors
3. Sellotape
4. Darkroom/Changing bag

1. Go into darkroom with film, scissors, and sellotape.

What to prepare.

2. Take out all the film from the film canister in the dark.

Take out film.

3. Leave 1cm (0.4 inches) at the end of the film, cut the negative from the canister in a straight line with scissors.

Cut the film.

4. Flip the film you just cut, and attach it to the canister side with scotch tape. Try to tape them straight as possible, lining them parallel. This is the challenging part, but you will get used to it soon. Good luck!

Flip it and put back on with scotch tape.

5. Afterward, rewind the film into the canister. If the film is stuck, it might be bent at some points at which point we can simply try it again!

Rewinding.

6. Cut the beginning of film to adjust for camera to wind

Adjust the beginning of film.

When you flip the side of film, ISO level goes down two steps. For example, if it’s 800 film, it becomes 200, 400 becomes 100, and 200 becomes 50. If you use this method, you can still keep track of frame numbers, it is easier to organize shots when tackling the EBS method (if you are interested EBS please read about it here! ).

The color result is different when using different films. From my experience, Kodak gives you more yellow, orange color result, and Fuji gives you more magenta, red color result. Depends on what color you’d like to have on your shot, you can choose the film accordingly ☺

Hope this helps! Let’s try to make a red scale film ♪ Enjoy your Redscale life!

If you succeeded making a redscale film, try these as well!

written by hodachrome and translated by whynotwinnipeg

1. castiana

castiana

definitly try this! :}

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  2. ivegotjewels

ivegotjewels

beautiful photos!

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  3. muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

muhamad_haiz_shamsudin

After knowing LOMO redscale films are out of stock, I am definitely going to try this out. Thank you for the useful tip. Cheers!

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  4. ilc

ilc

thanks for the tip, the pics look really cool!
    over 1 year ago · report as spam
  5. buckshot

buckshot

Nicely explained! I do it the same way, but with a small difference in step 4: feed the end of the film back into the canister a little bit, underneath the bit of film that's sticking out, align the two pieces of film by feeling along their sides with your fingers, then put the tape over the joint. I find this helps to make sure the film is straight before you wind it back in.

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  6. iamtheju

iamtheju

I always do this by folding and taping. It's just because I worry the tape will unstick. But this is probably better than my way.

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  7. feny

feny

Nice tip! I just tried it with 1600 ISO film.....hope it will work! :D

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  8. anamachado

anamachado

Hello! Just one question. I did this and then when I try to load it to my LC-A+ the film is very "tense" in the oposite direction so the camera can+t wheel it! It's like the little pieces of plastic aren't strong enough to pull the film out of the canister... The Sprocket Rocket have enough strengh, but the LC-A+ just doesn't! And I did wait like 1 week after making the redscale until loading it in the LC-A+... Is there anything I can do? I men you have homemade redscale photos with LC-A+, why does mine simple can't pull the film? Thanks so much in advance and I hope you understand my english. Good article!

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  9. dishfish

dishfish

Will it get completely ruined if I don't do it in a darkroom? I don't have access to a room with absolutely no light!
    over 1 year ago · report as spam
  10. ellathepanda

ellathepanda

Based on this I am wondering if I can create purple by doing the same to a lady grey film, any one tried this? Is this theory right?
    over 1 year ago · report as spam
  11. volgolomo

volgolomo

useful thx

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  12. rulito

rulito

Thnx for sharing! Will try it soon!
    about 1 year ago · report as spam
  13. badjuju

badjuju

I am trying this tomorrow! So excited =D

5 months ago · report as spam

The original version of this article is written in: 日本語. It is also available in: Deutsch, Italiano, 中文(繁體版) & Türkçe.