To avoid simple mistakes that almost every newbies does when developing film at home, here are a couple of tips and tricks! Make sure you read these first before you start your film processing session.
- Wash the spool in soap and water after you use them to remove any residual chemicals that might stick when feeding onto the spool.
- When developing film in the bathroom, run a hot shower for about 5 minutes to get the place damp. Then wipe down all of the surfaces and floor to get rid of the dust.
- The first part of a 120 film has no images, so don’t be scared to use your fingers to drag that first part into the spool.
- To get the right chemical ratios, buy a medicine measuring cup or a flask that is purposely designed for photographic film processing.
- Be as precise as possible with time, temperature and chemical mixing.
- Portable film drying cabinets are great investments. These cabinets will block any dust from reaching your wet negatives.
Do you have any tips on film processing at home? Add your tip on the comment section below!