Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Rad Redscales: Vintage Hues

I always wanted to try redscale film. One day, I went to the Lisbon Embassy Store and bought a roll, but when I used it and got the results back, I was slightly disappointed. Too dark, too red. So I wanted to go softer.

Photo by roxanneross

As a fan of expired film, I have a bunch sitting at home in my little film box, which happen to be just perfect for experiments: a little over their expiration date, well stored, and film I didn’t mind “wasting”. So I redscaled it. If you are worried about experimenting with a more expensive film, I highly recommend you try this. Expired film is cheaper and can give great results.

That done, I loaded it in my camera and pulled the film by one stop, so that the film would be exposed for a little while longer and I would get more of a pink hue over my photos, with dashes of blue and green, as opposed to deep reds overpowering the other colours.

It didn’t stray too far from natural colours and I got a nice pink cast. I’d say I got a vintage-y atmosphere, which really pleased me!

What do you think? How do you make the most of your redscale film?

written by roxanneross

1. megaman49

megaman49

Looks good...I got a similar look x-processing film backwards (C-41 to E-6). Everything had a magenta cast but the greens still showed up well (it was a pretty strange looking slide)

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  2. sarah-addison-dobard

sarah-addison-dobard

Lovely photos

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  3. sarah-addison-dobard

sarah-addison-dobard

I was also disappointed with my redscale photos so I will definitely try pulling the exposure in development. Thanks!

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  4. roxanneross

roxanneross

@megaman49 that's strange. i never tried that but i noticed that you do get photos with less contrast. as for the colours, it must be a little like xpro on slide films, it depends on the the film. and thanks :)
    @sarah-addison-dobard thanks :) this worked well for me. good luck!

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  5. megaman49

megaman49

@roxanneross the film I did that on was an kodak internegative (duplication) film I was experimenting with. The lab I go to doesn't have a reliable machine for processing 4x5 in C-41 so I took a shot in the dark with this in E-6. The result of the shot is my profile pic with the holga and film. The shot has been white balanced as best as I can but the background was flat black and the holga and film were placed on a piece of glass painted flat black on the opposite side (handy in the studio). I think it looks cool with the magenta cast, but I suppose if I wanted it to look "right" I could use green filters over my lights.

over 1 year ago · report as spam
  6. roxanneross

roxanneross

@megaman49 true that, but it's way more exciting to experiment :P i think it looks cool too!

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Português & Italiano.