Lca_120_september_2014_header

Color into Black and White: A Different X-Pro

A mistake at the developers leads to a different type of X-Pro. Read about this happy accident after the jump!

Photo by neanderthalis

One time, while dropping off my film at the developers, I had a half dozen rolls of black and white rolls and one lonely roll of expired roll of Solaris 100. When I returned the next day, the shop keeper looked upset. He felt terrible that the employee was on a roll (so to speak) and just threw that poor color roll in with the black and white. I wasn’t mad because it was only a test roll for a batch of this expired Solaris film I bought, but he insisted my order was free. Curiosity still had the better of me and I had to scan the results. I could still get about fourteen usable images, with heavy grain. I am not sure if you could time the chemicals yourself and get better results, but I found this to be a happy accident and a learning experience.

What do you think about this unusual way to x-pro? Have any of you guys tried it, and got interesting results? Tell us about it!

written by neanderthalis

1. nuo2x2

nuo2x2

interesting outcome, however only 14 survived?

2. reminator

reminator

The photos are a bit eerie now, not a bad result though.
    I had a not so fun experience with the accidental crossing. bunch of color films and 1 b&w.
    he told me that there was a unexposed film, bye bye first roll b&w and bye bye shots of that cool market area!

3. buckshot

buckshot

Lomo is all about innovation and experimentation - intentional or otherwise! - so yes, this works for me!

4. neanderthalis

neanderthalis

@nuo2x2 I wish I had a better answer than the others frames were just too dark for the scanner to recognize

5. sixsixty

sixsixty

It's actually a useful technique for developing very old expired color film. If you got a roll that is 20 years or older, this might actually give usable results rather than developing it as color.

6. pjc

I don't usually shoot color, but when I got a bunch of free Kodak color film, I developed it in BW just to see...I actually like it...pretty unique (scanned in greyscale) http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickjclarke/sets/72157629623526344/
  7. twinklecat

twinklecat

I love it! It's got that 'Loch Ness Monster Hoax' look to it.

8. exit14

exit14

I've done it. I didn't have any color developer so I figured, what the heck, you can develop almost anything in B&W, Right? I liked the way it came out but it was a bit of challenge to scan. Here's one, it has an other worldly look to it. Twinklecat is right, yours has that gritty hoax look and it's awesome.

9. cyan-shine

cyan-shine

Great results! Colour -> monochrome xpro is known and has the advantage of allowing development of rolls from previous processes, like Kodachrome: look here http://www.cyan-shine.com/?p=92
    Furthermore, it allows you to shoot b/w if you're broke by using cheap CN films :D

10. camerabrain

camerabrain

awesome

11. wennie

beautiful mistake. :))

12. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

Freaky stuff!

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish, Deutsch, Français, Italiano, Português, Nederlands & Türkçe.