Lca_120_september_2014_header

DIY Redscale Film

I fell in love with redscale films after I used the XR 50-200. I decided to make my own redscale .When I'm trying to red scale my colour films , I found it's actually inconvenient that 2 films are required for the process and the taping part. So I tried to think of a method to redscale color film with just 1 film. I finally figured it out.

The things you will need are:

• 1 Film (the one you want to redscale)
  • Dark room / Changing bag
  • Scissors

The whole process must be carried out in dark room/changing bag (I do it under a blanket). First, remove the film from the canister.

And then, start folding it. Look at the photos above while doing it. Maybe you could try folding some parts of a developed film for a few times for practice.

After folding, wind them back into the canister. Push the film a bit harder when when the edge of the triangle is going into the can.

Remember to keep the film lead outside , or else you can’t load it into your camera. For the last step, load the film upside down. What you need to do is shape it with your scissors. Then, enjoy! So far, the film works pretty well with my Diana Mini.

written by casperxd

1. dreadlockboy

dreadlockboy

wow...great idea :)

2. sayekerink

sayekerink

I'm loving it! The simplest method! Will going to try it soon. Ermm, mind if I ask something? Does it necessary to use a film with high ISO to make a DIY Redscale? Or any ISO doesn't matter? Thank you ;]

3. breakingmyself

breakingmyself

Great idea, possibly better than cutting & taping :)

Sayekerink, I used 200iso and got some great pics, they came out a bit dark but double or multiple exposures brighten things up!

4. abbsterocity

abbsterocity

@sayekerink I think it's best to use a low iso because if you use a fast film, one that is sensitive to light, it'll be more susceptible to overexposure (dark blue hues). If you use a low iso like 200, you wont have to worry as much about overexposing since its a slow film.

5. casperxd

casperxd

I use ISO 800 film for the demo because I have spare ISO 800 films.
    It's better to use films with slow speed.

6. mariatornelli

I did this trick but now the film won't roll back into the cannister. I guess the folding did this. I've already exposed the last bit of the film, thinking it had rewinded properly. Even in a dark room, I still can't put it back into the cannister manually. Did this happen to any of you? What should I do? I probably already lost the last 4 or 5 shots...is it possible to save the rest of the film? Thanks
  7. mafiosa

mafiosa

Very smart idea. I am going to try this.

over 1 year ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Русский, Deutsch, Nederlands, Português, 中文(繁體版) & 한국어.