Scanning Tips for Spinner 360 Photos

Do your Spinner 360 shots scan with off colors and low contrast? Are you tired of considering this a "feature?" This quick tip will help you show off those sprocket holes as they were meant to be viewed!

Photo by russheath

This one is simple but there may be some sprocket hole newbies out there that have had a little trouble with their scans. If you are shooting sprocket holes, then you are probably scanning your own film. One of the things that the scanner asks you to do is select the area to be scanned.

Photo by russheath

When I first started scanning my Spinner 360 shots, I would just select the entire area I wanted to scan. The scanner would then apply the usual color correction and contrast adjustment that all scanners use to normalize the photo for being color negative, B&W, or a color positive slide. I found that my colors were often not at all what I expected and the contrast was very low.

Photo by russheath

Here is the tip: first, select a smaller area of the shot that excludes the sprocket holes. Click on the auto adjustments (this varies by software), and let the computer decide on color correction and contrast based on that middle portion of the photo which excludes the sprocket holes. Now, widen the area to include your sprocket holes and scan as usual. That’s it! Just be sure not to let your scanner re-adjust the color or you’re back to square 1.

Photo by russheath

Simple, yes. But this small tip has made a huge difference in the quality of my scans with all sprocket hole photos. I think it comes down to the scanner being “confused” by the open sprocket holes and miscalculating the usual adjustments.

Photo by russheath

Hope it helps!

The Spinner 360° goes beyond the confines of standard panoramic cameras. See everything around you (literally!), and be swept away by truly spectacular results. Head to our Online Shop and get your own Spinner 360°!

written by russheath

1. mikeydavies

mikeydavies

Wow this is super helpful thanks!

2. tome-vardasca

tome-vardasca

nice tip!
  3. mafiosa

mafiosa

Took me a while to figure this out, but once I did, it made a big difference in the scans. One thing I have noticed with the scanner/software I use, is that it is best to include a "white" portion of the scan in the first window you select. That should be the portion of the photo that is truly white (or the brightest part of the photo). I think this may be because it calibrates the other colours from the white.

4. russheath

russheath

@mikeydavies and @tome-vardasca -- Thanks!
    @mafiosa -- Thanks for that info, my friend. I don't consciously think about including a bright area, but I'll try it and see! :D

5. desibel

desibel

How is it that in some scans the sprockets are black and in some they're white? Is it a different setting?

6. jarodfwh

hi, what scanner where you using?

7. elvismartinezsmith

elvismartinezsmith

so true ! @desibel you get white sprockets when you process your slides in E6, they stay positive films so the sprockets are white, which is quite classy in my opinion :)

8. russheath

russheath

@desibel -- Yes, exactly what Elvis said! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.
    @jarodfwh -- I use an Epson Perfection V500 and I am quite happy with it.
    @elvismartinezsmith -- Thanks, my friend! Yes, I too love the white sprocket holes you get with E6, it's one of my favorite ways to shoot spinners . . . :D

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch, ภาษาไทย, Português & Français.