Petzval_header_october_2014_en

Getting through Pesky Security Stops when Travelling with the Spinner 360°

My fellow Lomographers who have brought their Spinner 360° cameras with them overseas know what I mean. Nine out of ten times, the airport security will definitely stop you to inspect this suspicious grenade-shaped object. How to avoid this awkward and annoying situation? I have a few tips to share!

The Spinner 360° camera is a perfect camera to bring for your holiday. You can capture literally everything around you, and you’ll never run out of inspiration because your surroundings are all new to you!

However, in the process of actually bringing the camera along, I realized that I get stopped at almost all security checkpoints at all airports to get my entire bag checked, especially at my home country Singapore Changi Airport (they’re freakishly but pleasantly efficient, see). After all, the camera does look like some kind of grenade especially with the pull string. ;)

And my new obsession is the Spinner Motorizer which is so fantastic, I can capture indoor shots now. (The Sistine Chapel! Inside the pyramids! New York Times Square at night!) But don’t you think it’s really funny that it kind of looks like a high-tech detonator with the remote control?! I shudder at the thought of what the security guard will now think I’m trying to do!

I have come up with some simple tricks to share, I hope this helps everyone to save precious time better spent chasing your plane / shopping duty free, and of course avoiding the evil eyes and suspicious looks!

1. Bring along the instruction manual. You can show them that hey, this is really a camera and not a bomb! I’m not making this up!

2. Pack it in your checked-in luggage. Usually they are much more strict about your hand-carried luggage and do not bother much about your check-in luggage. Just be sure to protect your camera properly by wrapping it with your clothes, etc. And remember to label your bag just in case it gets lost!

3. If you’re really paranoid, you can take out your camera at the security checkpoint itself, be upfront and show them this “weird-looking thing” first. Put it in those plastic trays they have for small objects and let it pass through the X-ray.

Last tip is, don’t forget to have lots of fun with your Spinner 360° on your holidays! These are what I have come up with so far. Any other suggestions are welcome too!

The Spinner 360° goes beyond the confines of standard panoramic cameras. See everything around you (literally!), and be swept away by truly spectacular results. Head to our Online Shop and get your own Spinner 360°!

written by saysaysay

1. superlighter

superlighter

my suggestion..avoid to travel..hahaha I can't imagine what can happen travelling with a Zenith Sniper!

2. wonderdude

wonderdude

Make sure there's no film in the Spinner - they may want to open it up. Also, in the USA, checked bags get X-rayed and occasionally searched. So, a Spinner in your checked bag virtually guarantees that bag will be opened without your knowledge...or presence. I'd keep in in your carry-on while flying within (and to and from) the USA.

3. asharnanae

asharnanae

oh boy, did the airport staff at London stansted and Amsterdam's schipol have a field day searching my hand luggage! The took out and inspected every camera I took with me, and all my films (with both the main scanner and hand held ones), which they insisted on scanning..... Multiple times. I was lucky at schipol, as one of the security staff was also a lomographer and explained to the others what the spinner was, as they were very dubious about the metal spike they could see when they scanned the handle. so yeah, be advised, unpack everything and put it in a tray, and beg them not to scan your film, politely! I just hope my films weren't spammed, the B&W ones came out fine, so Im hopeful... though they may have been scanned over 10 times in total on the trip overall.

4. herbert-4

herbert-4

Do they still make the little lead and vinyl film protection bags?
    A few years ago, I had to take my old Topcon rig through Burbank Airport and the Security boys (2) and girls (5) decided to unpack and individually look at and/or through every camera, lens, flash, and object, every one of them passing each thing to each other, all commenting on how wonderful these "antiques" were, all very enthusiastic and "Antiques Road Show" from Hell!! They also opened every lead bag and looked at every box of film and had the dog sniff. I was very polite and tolerant, explaining it all, and they said they couldn't pass up an opportunity to look at beautiful old cameras. The poor old dog drooled on the films. By the time i was packed up and ready to roll again, 1 hour and 45 minutes were gone. Hollywood experience??!!

5. superkulisap

superkulisap

What I do when I travel with my spinner is that I hang it around my neck and get all the attention! hehe! You were right at "Nine out of ten times, the airport security will definitely stop you to inspect this suspicious grenade-shaped object" and what I do whenever I'm in that I-am-not-a-bomber situation is I spin it in front of them and show them how it works. They'll be in awe and you can start promoting lomography to them :)

6. bluejas

Hmm, i never had the problem with the security when i travel out of Singapore with the Spinner, and it's always in my hand carry luggage. Maybe it's because i placed the spinner together with my holga and films. Oh boy! but the spinner is definitely a MUST-BRING for vacations! =)
  7. quaisoir

quaisoir

Well the only time i was stopped by security was at venice international airport,they were quite surprised that the spinner is a camera! The customs officer even showed it to his other colleagues.gd thing it didn't tk long.wouldn't wanna miss my flight! Lol..yeah i always hand carry my cams n film

8. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

@wonderdude I second this, I think it would be the same anywhere.

9. natalieerachel

natalieerachel

I got stopped for my Spinner haha....so funny...

10. phantomphoenixphotos

phantomphoenixphotos

Hahahaha! Funny article. XD

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch, 中文(繁體版), ภาษาไทย, 中文(简体版) & Français.