Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

A Little Guide for All Diana F+ Lovers

A guide of what? Well, its a little guide that I'm sure every Diana lover will find very useful.

A few days ago I started wondering how to use my Diana F+ with 35mm film without the Diana 35mm Back ,so I just started looking in the Lomography community for a tipster on how to do it, after a few clicks here and there I found a nice one showing how to properly do it (link at the end), all was good until I noticed that in order to get the frames to space evenly I had to remember how many turns per frame or clicks per frame so, all I had to do was carry a small chart with the numbers, easy right? NO, it is a really Long list that is a bit har to carry around all the time.

Then, I wanted to know what was the proper exposure times I had to use when using the pinhole option, again I started looking through the community for another tipster and I found an excellent one that had all the info I needed (link at the bottom) and again, a long list of numbers I had to carry around, so, this list thing is getting a bit crazy don’t you think? I know, the articles recommend to put them in your neck strap but seriously, that neck-strap it’s starting to look more like a note pad than a neck-strap.

And then, why not? what are the proper F stops of the Cloudy, Partially Cloudy, Sunny and Pinhole settings? the Shutter Speed? Well, for that I also did a search on Lomography and found a great tipster giving all the numbers and how you could put it on the neck-strap. yeah, why not? it’s a long strap right? Wrong, by now the strap is full with the information of pinhole exposure times, nob turns to each frame, so it got me thinking.

How can I have ALL that information handy every time I need it? The answer came in the form of a card, I mean, we all carry some sort of card at all times right? debit or credit? employee ID? and we always have it handy in the wallet (guys) or purse (ladies). So I came up with a handy card size guide with all that information to print and laminate that I hope You’ll find useful.

and V2.0 Just for you!

Just print, fold, and laminate. Hope it helps!

Thanks to esmondsit for the article A Proper 35mm Film Mod for Diana F+, gm_mcleod for the article A Pinhole Exposure Guide Neck Strap and pandaisdead for the article Diana F Users Can Have an Aperture Around Their Neck.

The Diana F+ is a new twist on the ‘60s classic cult camera. Famous for its dreamy and soft-focused images, the Diana F+ is now packed with extra features such as panorama and pinhole capabilities. Available in our Online Shop.

written by a1con

1. wolkers

wolkers

Did you cover the window at the back? That is extremely important when using 35mm film due to the missing paper back. The light coming through that tiny little window can ruin your entire film... trust me, I'm unfortunately quite experienced in that... ;)

2. skrutt

skrutt

Great guide! I dont own a Diana F - yet - but I have a Holga that Im gonna use a 35mm film with. And I will take a look around and see if I have the same clicks as it is on the Diana. Will save your little info-card! :D

3. nightmare_696

nightmare_696

very useful!! I'll try it!!
    I normally use 35mm but I do 1 and half turns o 1 and 1/4.

4. a1con

a1con

Hi @wolkers, yes.. it's a must if you don't want to end up with a bunch of test rolls ;)

5. a1con

a1con

@skrutt they have different ratio on clicks but you can find the info for the Holga in here http://photondetecto(…)35-advance/ hope it helps ;)

6. a1con

a1con

Thanks @nightmare_696 I really use it a lot. specially for pinhole exposure times :)

7. wolkers

wolkers

I've got the 35mm Back, which is really worth its money. I've actually treated myself with an amazing Diana F+ Deluxe Kit. And the 35mm Back is real magic, if you use another lens (like Super Wide or Telephoto) on it. But well 35mm Back or no 35mm Back, the whole guide on aperture and shutter speed is extremely helpful, especially for beginners. :)

8. a1con

a1con

@wolkers I bet it's worth it but sometimes there's just not enough piggies or money to get the 35mm back.. that's why I made the guide, I hope by the end of the moth I have enough to buy it. ;)

9. wolkers

wolkers

I can recommend that 35mm Back to everyone, especially if you're living somewhere in Bavaria, where your enemy No.1 using 120 Film. That's basically why I started using only 35mm Film. I've had a Holga 35mm Back and the one for the Diana, and the Diana Back is really worth its money as you can rewind the film in the camera and so you can shoot away without minding about how many frames are left. So if you got the piggies/money, I can recommend your investment :D

10. neanderthalis

neanderthalis

That is a fun guide and a great cheat sheet for pinhole. I have to agree with @wolkers . That 35mm back is a little gift from heaven. I like it for travel because I can carry one camera and could use either 120 or put the back on and use 35 just as easy. I like 120, but trying to find a developer or more film stock is a pain at times. I also like to match the 38mm lens with 35mm film.

11. wolkers

wolkers

@neanderthalis: My first lab gave me - exuse my language - a royal pain in the ass. Those dudes wouldn't develop square format! At least I found a lab now, that can develop all my screwed films, my doubles, my b/ws, my redscales. But buying 120 Film here is like looking for snowflakes in the Sahara, developing such films would probably cost around 10-20 Euros (I'm paying 2.30€ for a usual film with prints) and that is hardly ever affordable for a excessive shooter like me.
    Also beginners love 35mm film, because it's cheap and easy to use, and to get started with all analogue.
    And I basically always interchange between instants and 35mm film

12. freepeanuts

freepeanuts

this is really awesome! thanks!

13. runefox

Great little cheat sheet, thanks for sharing! I've been carrying around a little notebook with stuff in for ages, but this makes much more sense than my scribbles :D
  14. a1con

a1con

@freepeanuts thanks, glad you like it ;)

15. a1con

a1con

@runefox Glad I could help a little.. :D

16. cheesus

cheesus

Does this really work?
  17. cheesus

cheesus

well i mean the film part
  18. a1con

a1con

@cheesus Hi, for me personally? YES, for other diana owners, yes, we all get different results and we all have different methods, some go with the turns, other count clicks but it sure works ;)

19. joseman

joseman

I'm so happy with this tipster!. 4 days before my vacations to the beach, this guide made my day. It will be really helpful for me. Thanks!

20. skinnyrencie

skinnyrencie

Using 35mm in medium format cameras is tricky but you made it a lot easier! Thanks for posting this :-)
  21. freyfrey

freyfrey

I love you! great tipstering!

22. alvarorubio

Very useful tipster!! It answers all the questions beginners like me have. It'll come in handy. Thanks a lot :)
    4 months ago · report as spam
  23. spookydirt

spookydirt

got a Diana f+ coming in post this week - your chart is going to be *so* useful! many thanks!

2 months ago · report as spam

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Русский, 日本語, Português, Italiano, ภาษาไทย & Deutsch.