Lca_120_september_2014_header

Using Lomography Redscale XR With Cameras That Can't Rate ISO

Some of the lomographers might have experienced this: they got these really intense red photos from the Lomography Redscale XR when shooting with their Holga or Diana. Some of them like it, but what to do with those who don't? Read on to learn how to get vintage-looking photos from this film with cameras that can't rate ISO.

These are what I got. When shooting this roll, I was using Holga 135 BC. Apparently, none of the Holga models can rate ISO, that’s why most of my redscale shots turned out underexposed, until I found a solution.

You will need:

• A tripod(unless your hands are steady enough)
  • A cable release(not a must)
  • A camera that can shoot long exposure and has a tripod mount

It is very simple, all you need to do is set your camera to bulb mode, mount it on a tripod, point it to your subject and press the shutter release. As for how long, it depends on the condition. If it is sunny, bulb for half a second, if it is cloudy, make it a second. Simple enough? These are what you will get:

The Lomography Redscale XR 50-200 35mm gives you full control over your redscale images. With its extended ISO range, you can pick an effect that you want and set the ISO accordingly. Your images will exude a lovely retro feel. See our selection of Lomography films here.

written by tomkiddo

1. jeffr

jeffr

i'm definitely a victim of underexposed redscale.. thanks for the advice kiddo!

2. rin2yume

rin2yume

Wow, this actually makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
  3. boobert

boobert

good job!

4. skrutt

skrutt

Thanks for the tipster! Havent tried redscale yet, but I will have this in mind when I try!

5. pangmark

pangmark

Sweet! Could you alternatively just push it in the lab?

6. hairil

hairil

Nice...! I'll try to keep this in mind the next time I shoot with redscale film. Thanks!

7. hannahvisceral

hannahvisceral

I bulbed for more than 20 seconds at night with my Diana and it still turned out underexposed XD

8. tomkiddo

tomkiddo

@hannahvisceral i've checked your redscale shots out..the day shots were awesome, but the night shots were a little bit underexposed..maybe you'll get better results if you bulbed for 40 seconds :)

9. lightlykilled

lightlykilled

guilty as charged for the underexposed redscale. I still hadn't quite internalized the relationship between ISO, light and shutter speed when I loaded my Holga 135 BC with Redscale XR. it didn't help that I shot in the darkest winter times here in Finland! most of the film was underexposed and it kinda woke me to realize these things. :D all in all, thanks for the tipster!
  10. carlota_nonnumquam

carlota_nonnumquam

This is a great tipster! I had been wanting to try Redscale XR on my Diana F+ for the lovely vintage colors but I was afraid I would get the red tones which I don't really like, I will definitely try this now! :)

11. adzmin

adzmin

started using redscale film recently.. Thank God i found this article.. thanx a lot!! it really helps.. :-)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Русский, Português, Italiano, Türkçe & Deutsch.