Petzval_header_october_2014

I Shoot Redscale, You Should Too

Redscale film is one red natural film, made to provide us with awesome vintage photos and ghost golden ones. You can find one in Lomography Store or you can make one by yourself.

If you want to go DIY, all you need is one, all you need are:

• unexposed color negative film (I use 100 ISO film)
  • scissors
  • duct tape
  • one empty canister

Follow the instructions from the video:

Usually, if you use this method, it’s better to rate the film one or two stops more ( as 200 ISO or 400 ISO) in order to get a correct exposure.

If you don’t want to do that, buy one from Lomography Store.

written by pvalyk

1. caritademelba

caritademelba

La Sardina + this awesome tipster = I'll show U later my pics
  2. tacho

tacho

yo lo hice hace unas cuantas semanas atrás, y lo que recomiendo es que cuando capturen las fotos las expongan bien a la luz; ya que así se obtendrán fotos mas rojizas.
  3. masfoto

masfoto

I shoot redscale too!!! http://www.lomograph(…)os/14370002

4. fernandocallo

fernandocallo

I didn't understand very well, did you just inverted the film? So you're shooting on the non-reactive part of the film or what? :S

5. pvalyk

pvalyk

@fernandocallo I didn't understand either. I just shot the film on the oher side than normal. Btw, a redscale film normally rated at 400 Iso should be shot at 200 or lower Iso, due to the fact that the red filter covering the blue emulsion is darker.

6. a1con

a1con

@fernandocallo @pvalyk yes, the way to make DIY redscale is to invert the film in the canister, meaning as you said, the non-reactive part of the film is exposed to light. it's very easy.

7. iamdnierod

iamdnierod

i did this last week and used te diy redscale with my holga 135bc, but it got stuck at 12. so i re-winded it and loaded it again thinking that it just got stuck the first time, but it got stuck at 12 the 2nd time around. what do you think happened?

8. pvalyk

pvalyk

@iamdnierod i think the camera could not wind the film further. I got the same problem with the lca but I will see tomorrow if I shot all the film or not.
    It's to the fact that the back of the film is not so flexible as the front of it.

9. iamdnierod

iamdnierod

yes, that's what i thought too, but i am going to try shooting the diy redscale with my slr, i hope that works!

10. pvalyk

pvalyk

@iamdnierod i got this film i shot with my lca. Its all exposed, i shall upload photos soon

11. fabs

I think im gonna make a stupid question, But i gotta do the proccess ina a dark room, or it works too with light?, the film that u have in the video is the same one that were supose to be in the empty canister ? thx for answering IM NEW IN THIS :D
  12. pvalyk

pvalyk

@fabs is it has to be done in complete darkness. But you can do it in any room, not necessary in a dark room. The roll of film from the example video is not the one I used, it's a test film (already exposed).

13. fabs

@pvalyk Thank u so much :), u are a great lomo colaborator

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Italiano, Spanish, 中文(繁體版), Deutsch, 中文(简体版), Português, Türkçe & 中文(繁體版).