Quickie Tipster: How to Reduce Shake on Long Exposure

Long exposure shots turn out great, especially when you do them without shaking the camera. What if you don't have a tripod to hold your camera steady? Here's a tipster for you!

Things you need:

• your camera
  • a card

Hold a piece of card over the lens. Press down the shutter release and insert lock then remove the card. Take your shot. Hold the card over the lens again and remove the lock. You should now have a shake free long exposed shot. Now you don’t have to worry about wobbling when using the shutter release.

written by ittlemisspeacock

1. zoezo

zoezo

Is this real?

2. lighttomysoul

lighttomysoul

Um. I don't even understand this tipster? What lock? What? How does the card help? I honestly don't get it? It feels like you're photographing the card.

3. i_am_bad_news_in_the_best_way

i_am_bad_news_in_the_best_way

I just neet to try this !

4. awitee

awitee

i think what she meant by "lock" is when opening the shutter in bulb mode while using a shutter release cable, this is useful because it eliminates the movement caused by the "locking" and "unlocking" of the shutter while using the cable.. very useful tip!
  5. kamiraze

kamiraze

She should have mentioned that the "locking" action only applies to the Diana F+. Other camera's usually require a cable release or a steady finger!
    The card is basically an easily removable lens cap. You still need an steady surface or a tripod, but this tipster helps remove the blur caused by handling the camera.

6. ittlemisspeacock

Sorry, i only have the Diana F+ so i don't have experience of other cameras. Yes you still need a steady surface or tripod. You remove the card, leave the shot for as long as required, then place it back in front to remove the shutter lock. It reduces wobble and blur. I was limited to how many words so it's hard to describe in just a couple of sentences.
  7. ittlemisspeacock

What i mean is, it reduces shake when doing long exposures when you are holding the shutter open or using a lock (like on the Diana) I am new to lomography. This is working for me and thought it might help others. Sorry it hasn't been well received.
  8. fletchinski84

fletchinski84

I think this is a very helpful tipster and anyone who has a Diana camera should understand it perfectly. Plus the huge photo of a Diana helps! I will do this next time I do a long exposure on mine as I am rubbish at getting the lock in and not moving the camera!
    @lighttomysoul The card is like having the lens cap, you're not photographing it, you are taking it away to expose the film.

9. lighttomysoul

lighttomysoul

this makes more sense now that I know this is specifically for Diana F+ cameras, or maybe a camera with a cable release. I don't have or have ever used a Diana camera so I had no idea what the "lock" thing meant.

10. amini

Thanks! Just wondering, how do you put the card back in front of the camera at the end of the shot without it being photographed?
  11. andredimu

andredimu

Hi @ittlemisspeacock , thanks for your tipster, I think it would be useful, can you post some pics taken with this technique?

12. flykiwii

flykiwii

Woah!! I feel stupid for not thinking of this! Such a simple solution! This solves that
    Problem! Brilliant! Haha wow.

13. asharnanae

asharnanae

Hmmmm.... I shall have to try it next time I want to do a long exposure, thanks for the handy tip :)

14. lovelaughterclementines

Very interesing and useful! Thanks!
  15. marcustegtmeier

marcustegtmeier

Seems like if the card was black it would work even better. Thanks for the tip!

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Nederlands, ภาษาไทย, Spanish, Deutsch, Português, Türkçe & Italiano.