Petzval_header_october_2014

Scan 35mm Panorama with Canon 5600F

There are a lot of ways to scan your panorama film, but for this, I will use software that Canon provided which is Scangear.

I’ve owned a Canon CanoScan 5600F since early 2011. The main purpose that I bought this scanner was to scan panoramas, which I shot with my Horizon Perfekt. Not every photo lab can scan in panoramas. After several trials and errors, this is the way that I scan my panoramas.

Remember, use the film holder that is included in the package because Scangear won’t work with the Digitaliza. The other important step is keep your film and the glasses of the scanner CLEAN!

First, put the 35mm film into the holder and place on the scanner. Click on MP Navigator EX and open it. Click Scan Film. Checked “use the scanner driver”, then “Open Scanner Driver”

Click on the first button on the left corner. Then click on “Preview”.

Scangear will automatically locate the frame, but Scangear can only locate with 36×24mm frame. So, Scangear shows 5 frames. Rotate the film to actual position.

Delete those extra frames, and left only with 3 frames.

Now, manually pull the frame to cover all the exposed area.

Select a frame, and click “Zoom”.

Set the desired dimension. Horizon Perfekt shoot in 58×24mm, so set the dimension into 58×24mm or less.

For me, I will shut off the “Auto Tone”, and only switch on “Unsharp Mask” to make it sharper, also with “Reduce Dust and Scratches” to reduce the visible of dust.

Last, click “Scan” and save your image.

The Horizon Perfekt shoots images the length of two standard frames. With full aperture and shutter settings, this premium panoramic camera gives you total control over your shots. Prepare to be blown away by the amazing Horizon Perfekt, available here.

written by guitarleo

1. photochrom

photochrom

Can you scan sprockets?

2. guitarleo

guitarleo

@photochrom nope, sprockets is no no for canon

3. weedos

weedos

@guitarleo & @photochrom. I have a canoscan 8800f (same software) and I use a digitaliza. Message me and I'll see if I can help :-)

4. erk

erk

@guitarleo , @photochrom and @weedos : I have the Canoscan 5600F and it only has a small light thing in the cover (don't know the english word...) for 35mm film. Anyway you could scan sprockets with it when you remove the mask and use the digitaliza or just tape. Unfortunately a bit of the edges is still not scanable. You also have to change some settings in the software but... I think I'm going to make a proper tipster about this soon ;) ♥

5. guitarleo

guitarleo

@erk got a chance to scan sprocket by remove the mask, but in ScanGear, if scan include with sprocket, the color all when wrong.

6. andrus_n

andrus_n

I have also the 5600F and it is possible to scan spockets with digitaliza. Done it several times, even though have had the scanner only for some weeks. Just needs some changes in settings and some manual fixings.
    erk - let me know if u not gonna write the tipster... as it turned out there was not such a tipster for sprockets-digitaliza-canoscan 5600F available anywhere ;)

7. guitarleo

guitarleo

@andrus_n with help from weedos, get to know the way to scan sprocket, but i found out something that although digitaliza allow us to scan 33mm width, but in Scangear, I only can crop into 31.2mm, that's mean i lost 1.8mm scan-able space. Is it the limitation of 5600F?

8. andrus_n

andrus_n

Hi there. Yep you gonna loose some material. I have not followed how much exactly. As i am just the beginner with 5600F :) Maybe someone else here knows exact details.

For me is the most important that i may loose some mm in order to get so much better results, compared to what the labs, i use, offer. And that is what i love about the new for me 5600F. Unfortunately I do not have any self scanned sprockets up on my home yet. But my comment was more about that the additional tipster is needed for scanning sprockets and using digitaliza on 5600F :)

9. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

I have a canoscan 8800f and if I use the basic settings, everything is heavily tinged green. Any advice?

10. guitarleo

guitarleo

@adam_g2000 which film you using?

11. adam_g2000

adam_g2000

Mostly several types of Fuji, and a Kodak. They all seem to lean towards greeny yellow.

12. guitarleo

guitarleo

@adam_g2000 no idea, I just scan just as it.

13. jacksonwong

jacksonwong

Hey everyone, When following the above method i get a blank grey strip even after previewing. However when going back to thumbnail view it shows the cropped frames. Have you had this problem before? Help please?
  14. guitarleo

guitarleo

@jacksonwong blank grey strip?? how's it look like?

15. jacksonwong

jacksonwong

@guitarleo it looks exactly like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/557958/Window.jpg I'm using a mac, i will try it on a windows machine to see if it works proeprly.
  16. guitarleo

guitarleo

@jacksonwong erm, never seen this problem before. shouldn't have this.

17. jacksonwong

jacksonwong

i tried it on a windows machine, and it works perfectly. If anyone has a fix for mac let me know :) thanks!

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: ภาษาไทย.