Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

How Do You Store Your Camera 'Stuff'?

So, within a matter of months I've managed to gather a few cameras and film (both used and unused). The initial 'I'll just put it on a shelf' and 'throw it in a basket' just doesn't cut it anymore! It's everywhere and not in any order. Then one day I found the perfect solution.

I’m now the proud owner of a Diani Mini & Flash, a La Sardina & Flash & coloured caps and a few extras: gorilla tripod, shutter release cable, lots of film and somehow even more canisters, scissors (to cut negs), lots of negs both in sleeves and rolled back up in the canister, and a broken LOMO LC-A.

They’re stuffed in 2 baskets and on a shelf, but things get mixed up and I can never just grab something when I need it. I lost the flash for the La Sardina the other day, I looked everywhere, re-traced my steps, only to find it in a small Dickies bag.

My desk ends up like this most weeks, and stays like that for days.

Negatives are getting mixed up, and I’ve ran out of sleeves so I’ve just rolled them back up in the canister – which means I also forget what type of film it was and the date of expiry.

So after some thought I decided that a drawer system would suit what I have and how I like things to be at hand, everything in it’s place (but not neat!). This meant that each camera, flash and unused film (I have 3 lots – out of date, in date and slide) has it’s own home. And while browsing through a well-known furniture/lifestyle store, I found the perfect storage!

Photo by angelc5

With one smooth pull of a drawer I can now access what I need, when I need it, really quickly without having to open boxes and tear my office apart.

Now I just need to tidy my desk…..

So what ways do you keep your Lomo stuff safe and at hand, any tips much appreciated!

written by angelc5

1. luthien

luthien

Brilliant idea! I might use this idea too. I have a fisheye camera coming my way and no idea where to store it. I now use a drawer for my film and I have my Diana in a camera bag and my vintage camera's scattered across the house. (= not so very practical)

2. rhemaangel

I have a dedicated locking cupboard for my photo gear. I have rigged up shelves & drawers to fit everything, and the cameras I use the most stay in the bag, ready to go. Film is in the meat compartment of our fridge (our meat compartment has a tendency to freeze things, so it's perfect), again -- easily accessible, yet out of the way.

3. burgerdeel

burgerdeel

Ooh my desk's always messy with my cameras too and I have that same scanner on the left side of my desk too~! ^_^ but unfortunately there's no space for any drawers, I just put all my stuffs in a box..

4. miss_maha

miss_maha

That's a perfect little storage drawer thing, great tip! I might have to buy two, cause I don't think 12 cameras will fit in just one.

5. coldkennels

coldkennels

I used to have a shelf in my student lodgings that held everything. Then I moved elsewhere, the collection expanded, and I needed two shelves.

Since then, I've moved back in with my parents, and the collection got even bigger; now I've got a box of slide film in the fridge, a box of colour print film on the floor (yeah... that needs a new home), a drawer FULL of unused cameras, accessories and cases, a camera box under the bed full of unused lenses and a spare SLR body, a shelf I store all my cameras on, another shelf for spare lenses, filters and my light meter. The tripod's under the bed, too, along with my 35mm bulk roll loader; both sit on my banjo case in a space I set aside for them specially, making them easy to get at in a pinch.

And, of course, there's the shoebox of developing equipment on a shelf in the garage...

6. laurasulilly

laurasulilly

Ha, I know the drawer, but I don't use it for my camera stuff, because I have the smaller version. I have a whole shelf dedicated to my cameras only (because I find they are also very decorating) and another shelf for my albums, photo books etc.
    I keep my films in my fridge (colour and bw ordered accordingly) and my negative in sleeves in a folder (I write down which camera and film I used, the occasion and place, the time, and if it's DIY-processed B&W the developing times), and my B&W Holga prints (the ones i make myself) I put on my wall in nice frames bought at the same furniture place you got your drawer from (only about 3 euros for a 18x24 frame!) and since I'm still such a beginner in the darkroom and try loads of new stuff there (ending up in almost always 3-4 prints of the same motif), I put the other half of my prints into an album.
    Everything else I put into my tiny darkroom next to my kitchen...

7. alexluyckx

alexluyckx

This is a great idea! However at the moment I lack the space to do this in my office. So I keep my cameras sorted out on shelves so they can be proudly displayed like a collection. The top shelf cameras are mostly ones that aren't used that often or cannot be used because either a) they're awaiting repairs/parts or b) you just can't get film for them. Middle and lower shelves are for working cameras that are often used and the various lenses and accessories for them. And finally film is all stored in a bar fridge that is just packed with film.
  8. plasticpopsicle

plasticpopsicle

Wow that storage box looks awesome! Perfect for film stash, cameras, negatives and whatnot. I want one!

9. courtneygawthorp8193

courtneygawthorp8193

Ha ha. I'm headed off to my freshman year in college, so I'm planning on storing all my equipment in storage containers.

10. upstart_thunder

upstart_thunder

Wow you have loads of slide film!

11. upstart_thunder

upstart_thunder

I just have my LC in my ruck sack all the time, photo's and negs in a box on the shelf.

12. gm_mcleod

gm_mcleod

great idea! I like to have my cameras out on display but I need somewhere for film and accessories!

13. yarah

yarah

Great idea! A while ago I saw a tipster to decorate the storage box with your lomo-photo's. Really cool as well :D

14. clogged

clogged

my stuff is getting out of control. your storage looks amazing.

15. clogged

clogged

my stuff is getting out of control. your storage looks amazing.

16. skrutt

skrutt

Nice idea!
    At the moment, all my cameras is on a shelf, for display, but its just a mess today! I store my film in the refridgirator, and all camera-related stuff in a box. And the photos and negs in a different place.
    Would be nice to have everything in the same place (except the film) :)

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Nederlands & Deutsch.