Lomoinstant_en

Diana Mini + Colored Flash + Redscale XR

Weeks ago I attended the release of 'La Sardina' in my lovely country: Chile. The release was directed by people from Lomo Chile, and to my luck I won from a contest a Lomogaphy Redscale XR 50-200 film. I couldn't wait to use it and see the results!

Photo by narkalen

When I arrived at home, I checked the mail and there she was, my new Diana Mini. I was so glad because I had two awesome things: a new film and a new camera.

I loaded my camera with the new film, and then started to shoot without stopping. I was so enthusiastic that I used the color filters with the flash, I checked the focus every time I took a picture, etc.

Very eager to the see the results, I went to my favorite lab to develop the negative, and I was very disappointed at the results: everything was dark, the double exposures came out wrong, half-frame shots were awful, the color of the film overturned the color of the flash and everything came out really, really wrong.

Check the results:

Well, what I can say about this tipster itself: Please, dear reader, never use colored gel lids and a Lomography Redscale at the same time. I did not like my results, maybe I forgot that I was using a 100 ISO film and the Diana Mini flash wasn’t enough, maybe the film was useless to my main objectives, I will never know. To sum up, I will keep trying to take pictures with the Diana Mini, but I will never ever use a Redscale Film again, I swear.

written by narkalen

1. narkalen

narkalen

Spammer!

2. narkalen

narkalen

I've just changed my mind, someday I'll use Redscale again, and I hope to obtain better results!

3. girl_named_sue

girl_named_sue

I just dropped my first redscale roll taken on my Diana Mini at the lab. I have my fingers crossed! I only used gels on a couple. I quite like the mystery -- taking a picture and having no idea how the colours will turn out.

One thing I'm not sure of is how the adjustible iso film will work on a camera without iso settings.

4. narkalen

narkalen

If you do not force the redscale film, it will work as a 100 ISO one.

5. aroninvt

aroninvt

I don't know, I think the pictures you posted came out pretty well! Redscale is a weird film to work with, it doesn't seem to like low light or confined areas. From the pictures I've seen of it I think it responds best to city streets and hanging out on the beach (that's just my opinion though). Next time, approach it like black and white film, shoot some street photos with medium shadows, and frame shots that don't have too much going on, I think redscale looks best in simple compositions as it tends to be rather contrasty. I also think shooting a sunset/sunrise would be pretty cool with redscale.
    Don't give up on it though! It may not be well suited for everyday shooting, but it does have it's moments of glory, the important thing is not to limit yourself.

6. bead90

bead90

"adjustible iso film"(from girl_named_sue) might be a noob question what is that
  7. narkalen

narkalen

@bead90 Some cameras, like Zenit E, have an extra knob that you can turn in order to choose the ISO that you want to use. In some films work, in others don't.

Using the Lomography Redscale you can 'force' the ISO from 50 to 200, but if your camera doesn't count with this 'option' you will shoot with 100 ISO which is the default.

8. narkalen

narkalen

@aronivt Thanks! Some other day I will try some sunset and street shooting.

9. juditto

juditto

Can i tell u sth? :)) For me, the first diana mini experiences are usually like this. Don't worry, this one is a typical "after-diana mini". It's not only related with camera (or film) itself, it's also related with ur lab and their scanner. My advice is using faster films like 200 iso and beyond, and try to negatives like fuji colorplus 200 at the beginning.
    For slides, a sensia 100 gives some dark (but interesting) results, let's say all 100 iso slides are hard. You please try the faster ones ;)
    check this out if u wish:

a sensia 100: http://www.lomograph(…)edsensia100

a sensia 200: http://www.lomograph(…)-sensia-200

fuji colorplus 200 with colourfilters: http://www.lomograph(…)lorplus-200

10. juditto

juditto

correction: the last film was a KODAK Colorplus 200, not fuji :)

11. juditto

juditto

correction: the last film was a KODAK Colorplus 200, not fuji :)

12. narkalen

narkalen

@juditto well thanks a lot, I won't give up on this camera, I promise!

13. simonh82

simonh82

I think the issue is that the Diana mini, like most Lomo toy cams are designed to work best with 400 ISO film. The Lomo Redscale XR works from 50-200 iso. With a diana mini if you deliberately over expose i.e. shot on a sunny day, but set the camera to cloudy, you might start to expose correctly for 200 ISO. This will give deep dark reds as you've got in some of your photos. With redscale film, the more you expose it, the lighter the reds and the closer to truer colours you get. You won't be able to expose it enough with a Diana Mini without using B mode.

Extended range redscale films are really no different from normal films, it is just that the process of redscaling (shooting through the wrong side of the film) means they are very hard to over expose so you can shot them a much lower ISOs. The Lomo 200-50 is probably a 400 ISO colour negative.

14. domo-guy

domo-guy

Experiment and don't lose faith in the film or diana mini! :D
    p.s. The pictures were cool :)

15. wolkers

wolkers

I don't think a higher ISO is so necessary, I've used 200 and 100 ISO films on my Diana Mini and had no trouble at all.
    I guess your main problem where the color gels, because they let through less light, so the flash's darker and only certain colors can be seen by the camera. It's like the camera sees everything "red" due to the film... and the color gels blend out further colors.
    So Redscale + Diana Mini works... but don't use color gels.

16. narkalen

narkalen

Thank you all for your comments, I will keep in mind ll those things the next time!
    :D

17. aroninvt

aroninvt

I have a question; I just got a three pack of Lomography redscale 35mm, and I realized I don't know how to process it, my lab doesn't either......does it run C-41 process like color negative film would, and if so, can it be run through the development machine? (I don't have access to a scanner or darkroom.)

18. narkalen

narkalen

It's the same as a regular film, only that the film is backwards.

19. narkalen

narkalen

I mean a regular negative film.

20. yarah

yarah

hmmm, i don't think your photo's are bad at all, I like them :) A bit mysterious ;)

21. gelibee

gelibee

Hello @aroninvt yes @narkalen is right, it is a regular c-41 film but the film is inverted please see this link http://microsites.lo(…)dscalefilm/ Thanks!

22. glenn

EXCELLENT

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Italiano, Français, Nederlands & Deutsch.