I'm back to doing experiments. Destruction, manipulation, tampering, and creation!
Last weekend I was in an industrial area of Barcelona. You know the industrial estates; factories and ghosts who roam the streets, where the names are limited to street A, street 1, street Z.
Fact is, this peculiar area doesn’t appear in any guides and is one of those places that doesn’t really matter to anyone. But if anyone wanted to get lost out there, it’s called Zona Franca.
The pictures I took there are industrial in nature so when I got home I decided to do an experiment to turn them even more industrial.
1. I took my reel to the darkroom.
2. I filled 4 cups with 4 liquids: oil, alcohol, stain remover and bleach diluted in water and I also filled a bowl of water.
3. I prepared napkins by soaking them with the different liquids, making sure I had a blow dryer handy.
4. I turned off the light.
5. I picked up the reel and pulled it out of the coil.
6. I picked up the towels and soaked them with the different liquids and started staining the reel.
7. I soaked a towel with water and cleaned the reel.
8. I used the blow dryer to dry off the reel.
9. Once dry, I put it them back into the coil.
10. I took them to be developed.
You can see the results! (The reel expired in 2006 but that really doesn’t matter)
The magic product that created this effect? I suspect it was the bleach and the order in which I applied the liquids, although there is no way to be sure.
Now I just have to decide if photography is creative or destructive!