This is your last chance to pre-order your Petzval Lens and get the special aperture plates included for free! With estimated delivery in August (or even sooner), don’t miss out on securing your picture perfect portrait lens!

Have an account? Login | New to Lomography? Register | Lab | Current Site:

DIY C-41 to B&W Cross Process

If you already develop your own B&W films, you may want to try to develop C-41 color negatives with B&W chemicals :)

Since the digital madness started, it is now really hard to find good labs in order to have the films developed as you all aware of. If you use b&w film, it is even harder to find films and place which can develop them. At least the situation is like this in Turkey. So, a few months ago, I decided to prepare a dark room in my home and got the chemicals, purchased a scanner. Since then I’ve been doing all b&w developments at home.

On the other hand, as I said above also to find b&w films is getting harder nowadays. Because of that, I decided to try something I used to read from the internet and now I figured out how to develop C-41 regular color negative films with b&w chemicals at home.

Here are some tricks and the results… (I am going to refer to the materials that I used but of course you can try with different films and chemicals as well)

MATERIALS
• Any analog 35mm film camera 
• Capital (Does anybody know this film actually??? Or did the seller make them at home? :) ) 400 ASA C-41 expired film (unknown date) (extremely cheap : 0,65 USD)
• Developer: Ilfosol 3
• Stopper: I used lemon salt which I bought from supermarket. (30 gr. With 1 lt. water) (But of course you can use regular stopper chemicals)
• Fixer: Ilford Rapid Fixer
• Ilford Phot Flo

PROCESS
• 2 rolls film taken with Holga 135BC in Masukiye – Izmit – Turkey
• Films developed 10 minutes at 26 degrees. (This was not I meant actually. Normally I develop b&w 100 ASA films at 20 degrees and I know c-41 films are developed at 38 degrees. I prepared the developer and measured, it was 26 degrees and I kept it that way. )
• Water treatment a little bit.. (15 sec. maybe)
• 30 sec with stopper
• Water treatment again.. (10-20 sec… I think)
• 6,5 minutes with fixer (normally I use fixer for 5 minutes but that time I decided to fix them for 6,5 min. I don’t know why?  )
• Then 15 minutes water treatment again..
• 1 min. with photo flo and no more water.
• After 45 min. drying, funny thing happened.

I looked at the negatives and orange mask was not removed. I could barely see something but nothing look like real image. But when I turned the negatives and through the light then I could see the images…
After cutting the negatives I scanned them with Canoscan 8800F scanner as if they were color negatives. So you can see the results. They look like sepia but if I scanned them as b&w the results would be b&w of course.

I hope this info helps to people who try new things and if you already develop your b&w films by yourself, you will find how easy is to develop C-41 films as b&w. So if some day all b&w film manufacturing stops, we can continue with C-41 with this method. And if some day chemical materials manufacturing stops we can start developing with coffee  And if some day all film manufacturing stops, better someone find a way to produce films at home by ourselves :)

Good luck.. 

written by smbilgin

3 comments

  1. brettac

    brettac

    I'll try it tomorrow :)

    over 3 years ago · report as spam
  2. savarian

    savarian

    I've learned through accident and then experimentation that kodak color films, processed the same as tri-x, produce well developed black and white negatives. The orange/brown mask is still present and thus the contrast is still lower when printing through an actual enlarger, but scanning works well.
    over 3 years ago · report as spam
  3. jvujnovi

    I just tried this last week with C-41 black and white (ilford) film. It was a roll I thought was unsuccessful (I was using a camera I was unfamiliar with and thought film wasn't exposed).
    Much to my pleasant surprise, the pictures came out good. Basically, I just followed directions for developing standard balck and white film. Voila! Les photos ont reussi.

    almost 2 years ago · report as spam