Petzval_header_october_2014

Making Full Use of Your Negatives!

No idea what to do with all the negative films accumulating in your room? Here are some simple steps to turn them into artworks!

I was tired of leaving my negatives stowed in a forgotten corner of the room, hence, I decided to be innovative. I wanted to form some sentences on my wall using these negatives but I couldn’t think of anything.

Then, I saw a phrase I love on Lomography film’s box, and is fitting for the occasion: “Save the film”.

You can also “recycle” your negatives in other ways, such as writing sentences, drawing hearts, whatever way you choose. :)

written by isakb and translated by coolsigg

1. eighteyed-hendra

eighteyed-hendra

okay

2. mephisto19

mephisto19

this looks like hell to me saving even the entire film where only one shot is on....

3. dylanziobrennanzio

dylanziobrennanzio

that's the stupidest thing i've seen in quite a while
  4. the_detourist

the_detourist

whoa. haters gonna hate. creativity is good, granted it might not be your choice of decor for the walls...

5. the_detourist

the_detourist

im thinking of making a chandelier out of scrap negatives...

6. dmgphotography

That's not saving film at all! What if you want reprints? Even if they're scanned, digital files can be corrupted, then where would you be?
  7. badjuju

badjuju

I see no problem with it if you have images you know you will not reprint. I have a few rolls from trying to figure out my cameras just taking random shots to figure out lighting and settings. Ive always wanted to make a lamp.

I would not use my family pics, but yeah good idea if you have some busted film.

8. crumpy

crumpy

I file away all my films, it's good to keep the original source. but i do have films of pretty much nothing, which I'll never use again. So this kind of thing is good for those i guess. I like the lamps Badjuju posted. article seems a little thin tbh but cool anyways

9. snoggbukker

snoggbukker

I love the idea but I reckon people will find numerous other ways of "saving their film"
  10. kylewis

kylewis

You are demented, I only hope they are crap shots, or you have backed up like a loon cos when the hard drive fails all you have is your negs... thanks goodness!

11. iaki

iaki

that is awful

12. willyboy

willyboy

Forget the dweebs above. The idea is just that. An idea. isakb isn't holding a gun to all your heads telling you to do this (although given some of your insults I wish he was). I'd try it out with, as badjuju says, a film I know I would never reprint (my first few rolls of awful shots perhaps).

13. mythguy9

mythguy9

I wonder if we can recycle old films by superimposing it on current films, scan them TOGETHER and mock a double exposure...

I used to scan the film with a normal scanner (not a film scanner) and use the image as a border in my blog (http://yingshuo.blog(…)ost_22.html). :-P

The original version of this article is written in: Português.