Inspired by Pulex, I decided to try this out and along the experiment, I eventually got to do some further craziness that you shouldn't miss!
I’ve read Pulex’s tipster about developing CN in B/W chemistry and got inspired!
He used Ilfosol but I’m normally using Kodak HC-110 developer, so I had to figure out my own developing times and so on…I have been trying to find a tipster for some time without result, so I was very happy to see that he had done it with success and I felt like trying it for myself. The only colorfilm I had was Macocolor UCN200, 127-film, so I took one of the rolls I shot with my Kodak Brownie Starlet, but never had developed, and decided to try it on that!
Something inside me told me to develop the film for 7:30 minutes! – don’t know why, I had to choose something!!! So I agitated for 30 sec. And then 3 times each minute. Used a stopbath(water and acid), and then fix for 8(!) minutes, because I read somewhere that colorfilm should be fixed for twice as long as B/W. Then I gave it the final rinse and got very disappointed to see the film on the reel as it looked as if nothing was on the film!!! BUT, that was only until I rolled it back off the reel and found that the images was visible only from the one side!(guess this is because the colorfilm has more layers than B/W?!) When the film was dried and scanned(as CN), the images came out very brown/reddish and just as old-fashioned and nice as I had hoped for, though very different in color than I had expected!
Having cross’ed the first roll, I wanted to experiment a little more so I re-rolled a film on a 120 spool and put it in my Mamiya m645, but somehow only two shots were exposed! I did the same with my Agfa “Billy Record” 8,8 which produced some nice light-leaked double-exposures due to the mis-match between the backing-paper on the 127-film and the size of the Agfa’s “exposure area”!
This is without a doubt a very interesting way of taking pictures, and I recommend it to anyone who likes that vintage look!!!
Go ahead, give it a “shot”! :)