Lca_120_september_2014_header

The Dishwasher Experience

The Dishwasher LabRat - four sample rolls shot with LC-A

There was this great tipster about putting your films into the dishwasher with stunning results. For all those who missed it, here is the link Now I tried the same with different films. I grabbed ten or more rolls, put it in the dishwasher and started the programme. After that I let them get dry on the heater – a mistake!!! The problem is, that the film will stick together and might ruin you camera. After trying out the first film where I could only advance two frames I put all films back into some water, got them out in a dark room and used a hair dryer to get them dry. Well, not all of them, but four. The others are still swimming in the water and due to the salt of the dishwasher, the canisters started to rust… I am very curious about those results, but I leave them a while longer…

Another problem was getting the films developed. I did not dare to ask the one hour lab and although I was not satisfied with them, ruin the lab of my drugstore. So I called my photolab of choice (Wacker in Pforzheim, Germany) and they used special developer to not contaminate his lab… Thanks, Herr Wacker!!!

All films were shot with my beloved LC-A and set to the original setting of the film, so a 100iso film was set to 100. Sometimes they are a bit too dark and I think of overexposing the next films one stop.
Here are now the results:

LC-A and Dm Slide film 100iso

LC-A and Lomoslide 200iso

LC-A and Agfa CT Precisa 100

LC-A and Kodak Elitechrome 100

So keep in mind that you should dry the films carefully or you might otherwise ruin your camera! And be gentle to your lab :)
Enjoy trying, but at your own risk!

written by mephisto19

1. calebski

calebski

epic!

2. nural

nural

You make me wanna do the dishes lol :)) great results, as always!

3. 0live

0live

I wanna try this but I don't have a dishwasher... or a darkroom... or a room with no windows... or a lab who will process... or a hairdryer. Damn.

4. kribbzor

kribbzor

@0live

you can use Cilit Bang and boiling water.
    use a bathroom with a blanket or someting covering windows and light leaks from the door.

When you are inside the darkroom. pull out the film (35mm) and put it in a jar with some cilit bang and the water.
    i use to have the film in the mix for about 3-5 minutes.
    then you take the film and put it under cold running water.
    Use a hair fan to make the film as normal.
    turn the weel on the film thingy so the film will go back inside.

Put it in a camera and Lomo on!

5. heyitsmaddie11

love :)
  6. bass_clarinet_2000

bass_clarinet_2000

I tried that. Only one picture made it on the roll. Go figure! The fact that it's so unexpected made it worth while.

7. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

how long is your dishwasher program? mine is about 100 minutes!!! one hour and a half... is that too much???

8. mephisto19

mephisto19

i have an sco programm and my dishwasher always is mad if i use the 65°c program, so i used the eco 50 or 55° regular program that takes about 90 minutes, too i think... :)

9. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

and do you dishwash the roll and then shot or shot and dishwash it?

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Français.