Light leaks on Diana Mini !

My Diana Mini is my best friend and it produces beautiful little pictures! But only recently have I found a way to get some light leaks on demand into that bad girl, without having to do drastic changes to her...

This totally happened as an honest mistake! You see, I was in town and had just gotten to the end of my roll of expired Fuji Superia. A friend had walked up to me and started making small conversation, and without thinking, I proceeded to open up the back of my Diana Mini in order to load a new roll. But fortunately I realized in time the mistake I was making (I had not re-winded the film), little did I know, it would work out for the best!

So here’s the trick, when you’ve shot a picture on which you would like a bit of a light leak, simply shoot one or maybe two random photos (or even blank frames) and unlock the rear door switch! Now let the back slide off just a little bit (not too much, you don’t want to waste a whole roll) a couple of millimeters is enough. This should result in three, maybe four already exposed frames painted with a beautiful light leaked effect.

Happy experimenting!

written by kontrast

1. aranmanoth

aranmanoth

Nice and easy tip! I'll do! :)

2. wuxiong

wuxiong

Hahaha,,, easy tip and effective enough. I 'll try it out.

3. lomorosie

lomorosie

Turns out I make light leaks all the time accidentally... Awesome.

4. lucianamorin

lucianamorin

great tip!

5. jeson

jeson

nice!

6. permafrost

permafrost

or you put your roll of film in a little askew, that way light gets onto your entire exposed film (because it doesn't wind up correctly) when you open the camera. it's a bit of a risk though, I lost quite a few frames the last time.

7. zenline

zenline

The same thing, but not inadvertently, happened to me, I begin and I was so incited to continue a new roll that I opened without rewinding and the result of these last photos exposed to the light was just waooou ! :)

8. antibiotyx

antibiotyx

cool shots! i love light leaks.
    i'll try it out soon.

9. mrmonsta

mrmonsta

This happened to me twice last week! but not only did i get quite impressive light leaks but the paper backing from the 120 film (was using my holga btw not the diana mini) managed to imprint numbers and markings onto the negative, quite a cool effect and instantly recognisable to anyone who has used 120 film =)

10. underorbit

underorbit

even easier, take a shot that you want to leak on, roll to the next exposure, hold the shutter open and blast that next exposure with tonzzz of light. light will leak through to the exposures on either side of the blasted one. if you line up your prints along with your neg strip when you get everything back, try to remember how you took each shot, it makes it really easy to figure out how cool/unwanted effects happen. and how to replicate/eliminate them.
  11. basho

basho

Nice one! I think I could follow your advice but only by accident. If I tried to do it on purpose I'm sure I'll ruin a whole roll of film! -- I'm very clumsy XD

12. kontrast

kontrast

@basho: Haha! I know how it feels!

13. tanwei

The light leaks are pretty awesome, kinda had them by accident , But when I tried it out on another film , wasted it all :(

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Nederlands, Deutsch, Português, Spanish & Português.