Wrongfully Squared

Try winding on a 6x6 image as though your winding a 6x4.5

It all started out as more of a rookie mistake than an actual technique, as I am new to the Lomo way of life i was bound to make some mistakes but surprisingly my main mistake was a blessing. When I received my new Holga I had set it up, in what i thought was the correct way, and so I went out taking pictures of everything I liked.

It was only towards the last few that I realised what I had been doing, I had been following the numbers to wind on 6×4.5 pictures despite having used the 6×6 mask. I decided to develop the film anyway as the 8th golden rule of Lomography says “You don’t have to know beforehand what you captured on film” and heck what a surprise it was!

The images overlapped causing these very distinct lines were the edge of both the current and the previous/next image cross mixing colours and objects as though the image had collided and mashed together.

One of my favorite images from this accident/miracle piece of film is an image I took on its side and unlike the others the images don’t blend but there is a very distinct edge to the separate images. Only now the edge of the previous image is on the bottom of the picture having turned it to the right perspective.

This tip can be used to create one long image or, as i have done, create separate images and just play about with it get some interesting and artistic effects going.

Please check out this album on my Home page and please feel free to comment and get in touch, I’m always looking for tips and inspiration or just someone to talk to and share ideas. If anyone uses this tip please get in touch and tell me how you got on. :D

written by tonysykes

1. cinzinc

cinzinc

a good mistake?!hehe

2. torium

torium

I like the results ! :-)

3. theblackbends

I did a similar thing, awhile after I first got my Diana F+ I wanted to try the smaller frames, and set the frame counter to 16, and shot three frames before realizing that I had not actually inserted the smaller mask *DOH* http://www.flickr.com/photos/46265215@N03/4258761303/in/set-72157623172884394/ The result was abstract but really fun, and I have shot a few more rolls like this and variations using the panoramic frame :)
  4. wuxiong

wuxiong

The first sight I see the photos here, I immediately know what you are goona tell. yes I made the same accident a couple a years ago when I first use my new HOLGA120N. I thought the film counting at the back intented to lead mistakes. Anyway the results came out were special and that's what our toys suppose to be like, right?? hahahaha:::)))

5. katastrofik79

katastrofik79

The beauty of the lomography cameras - a lot of the mistakes turn out awesome. I sometimes forget to advance to the next shot on my Diana Mini - turns out some fun multi exposure shots.

6. blackstar888

blackstar888

i was wondering how u did this! i think i saw this on Lomography facebook page and been wondering for a few days. now i know! how awesome!!! :D

7. tonysykes

tonysykes

Hey thanks for the comments, like i said it was my first attempt so i was bound to make some mistakes but luckily in lomo world mistakes are considered artistic :P. I should hopefully have some photos up in a weekish and also more to follow now i have money, I'll be sure to check all your albums :D

8. bittersweet

bittersweet

i had this mistake too. But the picture turned out wonderful! Sometimes a good mistake is a good thing to do. You never know right? :)