Macro Focusing Frame for Holga

Don’t worry about the distance anymore! Be always in focus for your macro shots!

In the Holga bible The World Through A Plastic Lens Mandi tells us how to use cigarette paper to focus when a macro lens (the one coming with the Fisheye adaptor) is mounted on our sweet Holga. Take this great advice and build yourself a focusing frame. You will have always the good distance with this frame. Fix it on the macro lens in order to be able to fit it ALSO with the Ringflash.

See some doubles made with Vicuna… I went to an orchid garden for the first layer while he took a walk in the forest for the second layer.

Lomo on.

written by stouf

1. vicuna

vicuna

Oh yes, these doubles we made together were really cool!! :))) That makes me think that we didn't make doubles for a long time now... Great tip!!

2. stouf

stouf

Hooo cool ! Thanks for publishing it LSI ! vicuna, my friend, you're right ! We've been lasy these days...

3. monoflow

monoflow

can u do this if u dont have the holga fisheye adapter mount? what was nr 17?

4. klickovic

klickovic

great gallery, great doubles!

5. rater

rater

Great photos and tip! And @monoflow, I think that those are copepodes, I am right Stouf?

6. eggzakly

eggzakly

Very cool trick, I'm always up for some diy! Can we have the measurements of your little plastic gizmo? :)

7. stouf

stouf

Yeah ! Thanks a lot everyone !
    @monoflow I think you can adapt the concept to any close-up lens, as long as you re-determine the distance with the cigarette paper. And rater is right (but he's cheating because he's also an oceanographer ahahah ). The are from the Calanus family of copepods (extremely important for the carnivorous food web). @eggzakly I could give it to you, but I would advise you to make the cigarette paper measurement, so that you can adapt the distance with your own frame/camera...

8. jroberts

i'm jealous, I want this!

9. life_on_mars

life_on_mars

great tip. thanks a lot. :)

10. eggzakly

eggzakly

If you're working with diopters/close up lenses, you don't really need to go through the cigarette paper focusing trick. The number on the diopter tells its strength, the focus distance for one particular strength is always the same as long as you set the camera to focus on infinity. This is the table:
    +1 Diopter will focus at 1 meter (3' 3")
    +2 Diopter will focus at 0.5 meter (19.5")
    +3 Diopter will focus at 0.333 meter (13")
    +4 Diopter will focus at 0.25 meter (9 7/8")
    +5 Diopter will focus at 0.20 meter (7 7/8")
    +10 Diopter will focus at 0.10 meter (3 15/16")
    I normally use a tape measure or a piece of string, but your frame would just make composing the picture a lot easier! :)

11. dfred

dfred

lmao love the 9th pix haha, however thats very nice

12. samistardust

samistardust

i found an old digital concepts wide angle lens with macro, that i got with my dslr. it fits perfectly on to my holga but i have no idea how to figure out the focal distance of the macro lens, and it doesnt say anything on the ring.
    can anyone help me out here?
    i might give up and just buy the holga macro adapters... but i would like to use the one i have....

THANKS!

13. beni

beni

WAW incredible gallery dude

14. falsedigital

falsedigital

I don't know why I haven't seen this sooner....that focusing frame is a genius idea!

15. ihave2pillows

ihave2pillows

My jaw just dropped seeing those plankton!

Submissions are hidden while this competition is running

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Deutsch.