How to put the Horizon Filters in your Camera

The Horizon camera comes with some cool filters, but how do you put them on the lens???

Warning – Lomography suggests that you use a second filter to pull the filter out (use the hooks on the reverse side!) instead of a pocket knife as this can damage your lens. In case that the lens is damaged as a result of using a knife to remove the filter your warranty with Lomography will not be valid anymore!

When I received my Horizon, I discovered the little filters that came with the camera. I wondered how I could put them on the lens and I needed some time to find it out. As a few Lomographers asked me already how to do this, I thought that it could be a usefull tipster entry to explain it.

Well, it’s not very easy to explain in words, but with some shots it’s easy to understand.

Take your filter like it is shown and present it in front of your camera

Turn the Horizon rotating lens to have the aperture in front of you and slide one part of the filter inside the Horizon

Once this first side inside the lens, press with your fingers on the remaining part until it comes fully in the lens body.. A little click will confirm you that the filter is in. And that’s it!

But then, how do you get it out??? It looks a bit more “dangerous”, but in fact it’s not…

Take a knife or something that has a sharp point. Put it inside the Horizon lens body (uh la la, that’s the step were you’re beginning to sweat…. ;)))) and just introduce it between the filter and the lens body on the “click-in” side of the filter

Just pull this filter side a little bit and the filter will come out very easily, or even can jump out of the cam from alone…

So, that’s all… For sure, the first time you do it, it seems complicated, but once you understood it well, it’s ok! :)))

And now, here are some Horizon photos with the filters!

written by vicuna

1. mandashitley

mandashitley

Were those x-pro'ed or just with the filter? Thanks for the tip. I don't have a horizon yet but maybe I will when I am rich :D

2. sugiyamasatomi

sugiyamasatomi

hmmm, I was wondering what the filter was for. so is it just to make the images greenish? Great pictures, by the way~! I think I'll try it out:)

3. -kosmonavt-

-kosmonavt-

great! thanks alot! I've been wondering how to use those filters for months :)

4. lonur

lonur

beautiful shots, stephane!!

5. oldskool_rider

oldskool_rider

WOW...i definitely have to buy this camera

6. mephisto19

mephisto19

the question is: HOW TO GET IT OUT! :D i use the second filter to grab the "fingers" of the other filter and get it easily out. great colors on your shots!

7. azurblue

azurblue

Great idea, vicuna !
    sugiyamasatomi, the green filter is for black and white pics usually, but you can use it in the vicuna's way, it's good too !

8. vicuna

vicuna

@mandashitley: the shots aren't x-processed, but it's true that this green/yellow filter gives some "x-pro like" effect. And I never tried it out with b&w film...
    And I made another test to change the color of the filter: on the other filter (anti-UV) I put a little piece of pink/violet gelatine and it gives some interesting results too! :)) See in the submissions gallery...

9. olique

olique

fantastic!!!
    but I have no horizon..:(

10. stouf

stouf

Excellent ! And mephisto is right, the easiest way to remove one filter is to use another one as a "hook"...

11. vicuna

vicuna

Yes, mephisto & stouf are right: be very carefull with a knife and it's better to use the other filter as a hook to put it out...

12. lucasjakobsson

lucasjakobsson

@ everyone

LSI does not recommend that you use a pocket knife to remove the filter from your camera, this may result with you scratching the lens. Instead use a second filter's hooks to drag the filter out!

13. djmusician

djmusician

A good tip & great gallery. Shot #2 is my favorite. I (like many others I guess) didn't know what to do with these filters although I read the information that came with the camera. I think that confirms the manual doesn't do what it's supposed to!
    Cheers!

14. venusattack

venusattack

thanks for the step by step! I was afraid to snap the filter's edges and manages to push it in w your tips. Now it makes me wonder abt the 2nd filter, what i have is completely transparent, what does the other filter do?

15. saidseni

saidseni

YEah! Finally I find something about those filters! There is nothing in the instructions of my Kompakt, couldn't find it in the microsite... weird. Great job, vicuna! Btw, in which situation should I use each of them? Thaanks!

16. susielomovitz

susielomovitz

HAHAHAHA! yeah! finally I know what they are for :D. thanks for the link @saidseni

Submissions are hidden while this competition is running

This is the original article written in: English. It is also available in: Spanish.