Petzval_preorder_header_kit

Now Available for Pre-Order - First Come, First Served

Tipster Of The Week: With Or Without Lubikin

By now, you must have heard of the new king of Lomotown- the Lubitel 166+ made its debut recently together with his faithful assistant, the very optimistic Lubikin which exclusively is in charge on any of the camera's internal 35mm affairs thus making the Lubitel a very un-modern but hip, bi-format twin lens reflex camera of its kind.

By now, you must have heard of the new king of Lomotown- the Lubitel 166+ made its debut recently together with his faithful assistant, the very optimistic Lubikin which exclusively is in charge on any of the camera’s internal 35mm affairs thus making the Lubitel a very un-modern but hip, bi-format twin lens reflex camera of its kind.

But you wanted what you see on your waist-level viewfinder still on a full square format using just a 35mm film…

DOUBLE 35 by janisthewanis

“__I got this tip from adamscott in the Holga Life Through A Plastic Lens book and applied it to the Lubitel as it can be used for any medium format camera. One must enter the dark room with 2 empty 120 spools, and full unexposed rolls of 35mm film, unroll the 35mm films and cut the ends at the end and tape them to one of the 120 spools so that they reach edge to edge, they will overlap a bit in the middle and this is good. Roll them on up onto the 120 spool and make sure that they are nice and tight, then tape the other ends of the rolls onto the other 120 spool. As there is no cover on the film at this point one must load the camera in the dark as well. Place the rolled up end in the bottom spot on the camera and the empty end in the upper part. Close up the camera and I would recommend taping up the back red film counter thing before going into the dark room. If you leave this untaped you are going to get a big light streak through the middle of your images.

I would also recommed counting the clicks between frames on a regular roll so that you know how far to advance the film between frames. I decided to go buck wild on this and used velvia 50 film, crossprocessed and shot a bunch of multiple exposures. To merge the images, I had contact sheets made and then scanned the contact sheets and used photoshop to put them together. Its a lot of work but worth it I feel.__"

With or without a Lubikin, this shouldn’t stop both the veteran and the future lovers of of the new Lubitel. The possibilities are endless and it’s only up to you to discover it! And what better time there is to share your Lubitel explorations than now here!

written by janisthewanis

1. mephisto19

mephisto19

cool shots! i have never tried 70mm- film but should one day.
    congrats

2. wynwyn

Your experimental endeavour definitely paid off and it was eye appeasing for me. It's certainly worthwhile to accomplish such a task. There are numerous artists in LSI and many have yet to display their masterpieces here. Film is not limited. Analogue is experimenting. My hands are itching to get one Lubi now.
  3. superlighter

superlighter

who know how many "clicks" I should advance a 35mm film to shot single images without overlap them? thanx!

4. halfawakehaiku

halfawakehaiku

use One and a half turn of the knob. I use that count with my 35mm mod too :)

5. xpunklovex

xpunklovex

With a Holga it's 34 clicks.

6. lomosexual_manboy

lomosexual_manboy

I want to try this, but how do you go about getting the loose film processed after you take pics since you can't take it out of the camera without a darkroom. You can't really take it to a lab without it seeing the light of day can you? The film has no light protection for transport.

7. superlighter

superlighter

@lomosexual_manboy: to use a 35mm film on a lubitel a diana (unless you have the 35mm back) a holga or any other medium format camera you have to load the 35mm film with his cannister so that the only problems are to blind the rear window of the cameras with some black tape and a dark place once you finished to shot your film where to manually rewind (in the new lubitel+ this is can be done on the camera itself!!) it in his cannister and safely carring it to the lab.

8. superlighter

superlighter

@xpunklovex I made some empiric measurement with an esposed film and it is true what halfawakehaiku said, 1&1/2 turn of the winding knob is good and I count 50 clicks!

9. mephisto19

mephisto19

new lubitel166+ allows you to rewind the film and you can see how much you have to forward it
    it is a big plus!
    so easy
    same for diana35mm-back
    so easy
    no counting
    just shooting

10. janisthewanis

janisthewanis

I unloaded the camera in the darkroom and put it into black plastic film canisters and took them to my lab and said do not open unless in the darkroom.

11. zeitfenster

zeitfenster

great!!!

12. I've been lucky enough to find an old Lubitel 166, and I'm interested in the Lubikin kit. Can I buy the kit on its own anywhere?