A 35mm SLR camera offered by Yashica in the mid-1970s, the FX-1 was considered as a transition camera for sharing some features with earlier models and the FR series launched later. Find out more about this simple yet dependable analogue snapper in this installment of Lomopedia!
Introduced in 1975, the Yashica FX-1 was the first 35mm SLR camera marketed by Yashica with the Contax/Yashica common bayonet mount, which allowed equipping of both Yashica and Contax/Carl Zeiss T lenses. It also shared some features with earlier Yashica SLRs with M42 mount and FR models released later, making it a transitional camera.
- Lens: Yashica Lens ML standard lens. Fully automatic diaphragm action. Yashica/Contax bayonet mount. Interchangeable with a wide range of lenses
- Shutter: Electronic focal plane shutter with horizontal run rubberized cloth curtains. Affords operation on either auto or manual mode. Continuously variable shutter speeds from LT (2 sec at F1.4) to 1/1000 sec. on Auto. 12 clickstop settings from 1 to 1/1000 sec. and B on manual. X sync. Direct X contact shoe. Built-in self-timer.
- Exposure Control: Through-the-lens full aperture average light reading with CdS sensors built into the pentaprism housing. Fully automatic exposure control through aperture preselection (Semi-automatic control through shutter speed preselection also feasible). ASA range from 12 to 3200. Exposure compensation provision (four settings from 4X to 1/4X). EV range from EV 0 to 18 (F1.4 at ASA 100). Operates on one 6V silver oxide or alkaline battery (Eveready 544, Mallory PX28, Alkaline Eveready 537 or equivalent)
- Focusing: Focusing with the aid of the microprism focusing spot
- Viewfinder: Through-the-lens reflex viewfinder. Viewfinder display includes shutter speed readout (From LT to 1/1000 sec), aperture display (from F1.2 to F32), over and under-exposure warning (red zones), ‘Manual’ LED display
- Film Advance: Film advance lever permits film winding in one sweeping stroke or several ratchet action. Multi-slot take-up spool for easy film leading. Auto resetting exposure counter. Crank-handle film rewind.
- Other Features: Battery checker lamp doubles as exposure counter illuminator. Double lock camera back.
- Size and Weight: 145 × 94 × 51mm; 695 grams (body only)